Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cheech A
    • Nov 2015

My husband and I have decided that tech companies who sell phones have caused a huge problem with minors and parents because they have not made it easy for parents to monitor children. And there is no doubt that they need it. These tech companies know very well who are the drivers behind sales of phones and data, TEENS and children. They get an F from us and should be charged with some sort of negligence! As far as a 17 year old pushing beyond set limits, there comes a point where it's simply a huge power struggle. It's probably time to bring in a third party to intervene. A therapist might help.

Comment

• goddessoflubboc
      Top Level Member
      ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
      • Nov 2011

Re: minor child refuses to give me the password for an online account

The tech companies are not at fault for parenting issues. They sell a product. You can buy it, or not.

My daughter is 16. She has no cell phone, no FB, no computer of her own. Until she's 18 I decide what she can and cannot have. It's called parenting.

Comment

• Disagreeable
        Top Level Member
        ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
        • Oct 2012
        • United States

Just as your are the parent, you should be enforcing any illegal contract entered into via phone or email by your child. Monitor their money, you monitor any access for phones. What you seem to be saying is that you are failing as a parent and want someone to blame.
        Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

• Unregistered

I sympathize and those of you who post your smug, simple answers are just lucky YOUR kids responded well to your tactics. Not all kids are wired the same way and just judging other parents or saying they're looking for someone else to blame for their poor parenting is not only unhelpful, it's arrogant and ignorant.

Some kids will rebel harder and harder the tougher you try to be as a parent. You can have consequences, but what happens when you've taken away every privilege they have and they're still too stubborn to comply with your rules?

Yeah, the tough love thing may have worked with YOUR child, but not every child is exactly the same. I can sympathize because we have been through this and are still going through it. I came here to see what helpful suggestions people have, but I see that it's just smugness and judgement.

Comment

• Disagreeable
            Top Level Member
            ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
            • Oct 2012
            • United States

You are too sure of yourself. We have members that have experienced very difficult strong willed children. You either keep engaging the full court press and hope some of your efforts make a difference and pray until they become 18, then evict them,
            Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

• goddessoflubboc
              Top Level Member
              ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
              • Nov 2011

"You can have consequences, but what happens when you've taken away every privilege they have and they're still too stubborn to comply with your rules?"

The original poster here was concerned bc their child wouldn't give them their internet passwords. The solution IS simple. You take away THEIR access. If that means they have no phone, no computer, so be it. If they need a computer for homework you put it in a central location and first install a key logger.

I've raised 4 kids, all very different. They all learned, eventually, that you follow the rules or you never leave the house alone and your room has the BARE essentials - bed, clothes, alarm clock.

Most parents simply aren't willing to step in that hard. That want to be friends, not parents.

Comment

• Maria624

Can I ask the police to forcibly get the password?
                I must obtain the pw for several reasons.

Comment

• Unregistered

Not unless a crime was committed.
                  This isn't Nazi Germany, yet.

You have to exercise your parental rights to discipline and control the child. To the extent you can of course.

Comment

• goddessoflubboc
                    Top Level Member
                    ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
                    • Nov 2011

Originally posted by Maria624
                    Can I ask the police to forcibly get the password?
                    I must obtain the pw for several reasons.
                    Forcibly? Like taze your kid?

Wow lady. Be the parent. Take away the electronics, change the wifi password, etc.

Comment

• olive
                      Top Level Member
                      ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
                      • Mar 2008

I agree, that is not a task for the police it is something that you as a parent have to do and control.

Comment

• LJJ

You can just have the internet shut down and removed in the home if need be.

And IF you feel some crime occurred, an actual crime, the police can and would do their own investigation for you.

LJ

Comment

• Unregistered

Maybe the kid just needs a good spanking!

Comment

• Unregistered

Yes I think disabling the internet and taking away cell phones will make most kids follow the rules. That's like cutting off their entire lifeline in the eyes of most kids these days.

Comment

• Unregistered

My kids are only allowed 1.5 hours of Internet at the max per day.

Some days it is a real struggle but they accept the rules in the end.
                              Parents have to stick to it and enforce the rules, whatever the rules you all agree may be.

Comment

• Wenton2
                                Top Level Member
                                ☆☆☆☆☆☆
                                • Sep 2016
                                • United States

All the comments come down to one point.
                                Be a parent.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                Smile :) Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Mad :mad: Confused :confused: Frown :( Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:

the color of a pink dog is ... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...