Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > CRIMINAL LAW, ARRESTS, TRAFFIC TICKETS > Traffic and Speeding Tickets

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-15-2019, 07:57 AM   #1
DANLIN
DANLIN's Flag is: United States

Default Can I be ticketed for failing to stop when the police car is unmarked?

Can I be ticketed for failing to stop when the police car is unmarked? (ticket hasn't arrived yet but officer said it was coming in the mail)
Can I challenge that?

I was afraid to stop until I was at a point that was more visible to traffic and pedestrians.

I don't know who is in that car and anybody can put a temporary light on their car roof.
DANLIN is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 10-15-2019, 04:34 PM   #2
Highwayman
Top Level Member

Default Re: Can I be ticketed for failing to stop when the police car is unmarked?

You're not making any sense. Yes, of course an unmarked car can pull you over. You're making stupid excuses for not stopping at a stop sign.
Highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2019, 05:06 PM   #3
AFFA
Top Level Member

Default Re: Can I be ticketed for failing to stop when the police car is unmarked?

I wish to inform you that answer to unmarked police cars being legal depends on factors such as which state you're in, what time of day it is, and what the unmarked vehicle is being used for. You may contact an attorney and seek further guidance.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2019, 06:59 PM   #4
olive
Top Level Member

...and how long you made him follow you with the lights on.
And how reasonable your behavior was at the time and location.

Many officials argue that you should wait until you get to a busy area (such as a gas station, business zone, or local police station) before pulling over – never pull over on a quiet road or secluded area! So you may have some argument to make.

Note: you do normally still have to stop at stop signs if that was an issue at all in your case.
olive is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2019, 06:59 PM   #5
olive
Top Level Member

And dial 911 too if you have concerns in the situation.
olive is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2019, 01:21 AM   #6
goddessoflubboc
Top Level Member

OP you should have signaled the officer that you intend to pull over when it is safe for you, typically by putting your hand out the window to acknowledge his presence, and slowing down. Most officers understand this.
goddessoflubboc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2019, 08:29 AM   #7
Lexus
Top Level Member

Being pulled over by anyone in any type of situation, especially by an unmarked car in the middle of the evening can be a stressful experience. If you are being pulled over by an unmarked or questionable police vehicle and you are not sure of its authenticity, you can call 911 and ask them to verify the matter. Rules related to unmarked police vehicles vary from one state to another. If you feel what you did was right from your side, you may be able to claim immunity of fear of entrapment and deception.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote