USAC Banner 728x90

Collapse

Hiring a board member's company vs hiring the board member.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Commander
    • Aug 2016

Hiring a board member's company vs hiring the board member.

I know that it is not illegal for a nonprofit to hire a board memeber or a board memeber's company, and that it'a viewed as an occasional conflict of interest. What I'm unlear on are what the differences are legally.

For instance, I understand that if a board member is directly contracted to do work that exceeds $500 in an entire year that individual's liability changes. A totally unpaid board memeber is viewed as a public servant, but a board member that's paid might be liable for various things.

Additionally, I want to know whether there is a legal difference between hiring a board member as a contractor or hiring that board member's company.
    Example: Dave is a boardmember for the The Imaginary Non-profit (501c3). Dave's paid day job is as the Owner of Graphic Designs R Us Inc. If The Imaginary Non-profit hires Graphic Designs R Us for $5000 to do a brand revamp (logos, web, brochures, etc) is that any different than hiring Dave as a contractor? Is there a difference between his staff at his company doing the job or him doing the job via his company?

Also, is there a difference between contracting a board member directly and a company that individual works for as a regular employees, non owner?
    Example: Tom is a boardmember for The Imginary Non-profit (501c3). Tom the board member's paid day job is as a plumber for Chicago Plumbing Inc. If The Imaginary Non-profit hires Chicago Plumbing Inc for services that cost $5000 does Tom have to worry about additional liability as a board member just because he's an employee? Does that change if he's the one who fulfilled the plumbing job?

Thanks everyone. I appreciate your time and help with understanding the nuances of these laws.
  • LJJ

Re: Hiring a board member's company vs hiring the board member.

This sounds a bit like a school or academic assignment and such assignments normally cannot be answered here per forum rules.

LJ

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    Smile :) Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Mad :mad: Confused :confused: Frown :( Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:

the color of a pink dog is ... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...