X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vladis
    • May 2011

American employer does not pay on time; I work as a freelance reporter

I would like to get your advice on one issue. I live in Moldova (Eastern Europe) and work as a freelance reporter in one American big online edition. I'm working there since February this year under the contract (Independent Contractor). According to the agreement my salary per month is $ 200 (I'm writing a few articles for them). The payment option is a cheque.
    But the problem is that I have received so far only one check (for the work I've done in February) American employer says it's always takes long for the first time, and that other cheques I will receive on a regular basis. But already a month passed and I'm still waiting another cheque - for the work I've done in March! The employer responds that the check is in process.
    I would like to get an expert's advice. Is it normal that I actually receive cheque not every month? Is it true that the cheque process takes so long time? What do you advise in this case? Thanks in advance for your professional answer!
  • AFFA
    Top Level Member
    ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • Dec 2009

Re: American employer does not pay on time; I work as a freelance reporter

I wish to inform you that check requires time for post when sent by your employer. As time for making and posting check is negligible and taken only few days to reach you. You may send a demand notice to your employer and can ask the day when your check are posted so that you can know whether your payment has been sent or not. You may report the matter to Department of Labor of the state of your employer for non payment of wages and to IC3 for online scam if your employer intends to default on payment.

AFF

Comment

• Vladis
      • May 2011

Re: American employer does not pay on time; I work as a freelance reporter

Thank you very much for the quick reply and for your consultation!
      Thus, from your words I understood that sending a check does not require so much time (processing of financial documents in accounting department etc.), maybe just for the first payment but not for each of the next. And every payment must be done on time. Right?
      By the way the time for sending a cheque by post services (from U.S. to my country) takes just a week, so post offices work well.

Regards,

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      Smile :) Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Mad :mad: Confused :confused: Frown :( Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:

the color of a red rose is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...