Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > NONPROFIT LAW and FUNDRAISING > Other Nonprofit Law Issues

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2015, 10:51 PM   #1
acen

Default Online Raffle Tickets Sales California Non Profit

I represent a California non profit charity with a online car raffle. We are seeking guidance as to online raffle ticket sales. We have registered with the Department of Justice to raffle as instructed. The penal code 320.5 says online raffle ticket sales is prohibited, but I think there might be a work around. We offer unlimited free tickets to contestants, thus I don't think we are subject to the rules. We only have suggested donation amounts for tickets. I need legal advice if we are in the right regarding the matter. There are 3 criteria at the bottom of the penal code that make us exempt. I feel we are exempt from the rules. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks
acen is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 11-02-2015, 02:44 AM   #2
AFFA
Top Level Member

Default Re: Online Raffle Tickets Sales California Non Profit

I wish to inform you that In California as a general rule raffle and lottery us not allowed but however charities and certain other private nonprofit organizations may conduct raffles to raise funds for beneficial or charitable purposes in the state. In this atleast 90% of funds should be for charities. For conducting raffle for raising funds a nonprofit organization must register with the Attorney General's Registry of Charitable Trusts prior to conducting the raffle and file an aggregate financial disclosure report for all raffles held during the reporting year. Penal Code section 320.5(c) provides about eligible organization as a private, nonprofit organization that has been qualified to conduct business in California for at least one year prior to conducting a raffle and is exempt from taxation and hence if you are covered then you may conduct raffle to raise funds.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2017, 07:56 PM   #3
Unregistered

Can the raffle occur if the payment is a voluntary payment only?

Old 02-20-2017, 09:51 AM   #4
Unregistered

Raffle rules would still apply!

The state will not let the rules be avoided that easily!

Old 02-20-2017, 09:52 AM   #5
Unregistered

Though you could always seek the opinion of the regulators and see what they might allow!

Old 11-21-2019, 06:32 PM   #6
venus 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by acen View Post
I represent a California non profit charity with a online car raffle. We are seeking guidance as to online raffle ticket sales. We have registered with the Department of Justice to raffle as instructed. The penal code 320.5 says online raffle ticket sales is prohibited, but I think there might be a work around. We offer unlimited free tickets to contestants, thus I don't think we are subject to the rules. We only have suggested donation amounts for tickets. I need legal advice if we are in the right regarding the matter. There are 3 criteria at the bottom of the penal code that make us exempt. I feel we are exempt from the rules. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks
so called workarounds are a good way to get in trouble for violating the intent and spirit of the law

Old 11-21-2019, 06:33 PM   #7
venus 44

But I do like the idea suggested above regarding asking the AG or other relevant authority directly.