Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > OTHER LEGAL ISSUES > Miscellaneous Topics

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-22-2019, 06:33 PM   #1
Aundre5
Aundre5's Flag is: United States

Default Neighborly behavior?

Hello,

I am not sure where this fits. I live in an HOA with a large parking lot. Another resident wrote in my car windows in red sharpie because I accidentally parked in their spot. Our spots are right next to each other, so it was a total mistake. They also had my car towed.

Is there any action that I can take for them writing on my car? I am hopeful that the pen will wash off with some proper chemicals, but it seems fairly extreme and aggressive to write on someone else's property. Not to mention if they wanted to "punish" me for my mistake they already did by having my car towed.

Thanks!
Aundre5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 11-22-2019, 08:08 PM   #2
adjusterjack
Top Level Member

Default Re: Neighborly behavior?

It's called vandalism, despite the provocation.

You can report it to the police if you want but without an eye witness or his signature on the work, I doubt that there will ever be any prosecution. On the other hand reporting him may escalate hostilities and that's never a good thing.

There's a product called Goof Off that will probably remove the writing.

Do that. Then be more careful about where you park. You never know what's on the other end of a mistake.
adjusterjack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2019, 07:03 AM   #3
siddhsoftware
siddhsoftware's Flag is: India

I have also been through this issue and I have been trying to solve this matter since last week. I am looking forward to have more details on this. Thank you in advance.
siddhsoftware is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2019, 12:45 PM   #4
Highwayman
Top Level Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddhsoftware View Post
I have also been through this issue and I have been trying to solve this matter since last week. I am looking forward to have more details on this. Thank you in advance.

You've already been provided the "details".

You're not even in the same country as the OP. Why do you think anything said has been relevant to you?
Highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2019, 09:52 AM   #5
Mack10

File a police report for sure.
Such vandalism is not permitted even if you do make a parking mistake.

Old 11-27-2019, 01:49 AM   #6
Lexus
Top Level Member

Your neighbor's act is a willful behavior aimed at destroying, altering, or defacing property belonging to another. Criminal property damage is covered by state laws and is usually defined differently by each state. Some states refer to vandalism as "criminal damage", "malicious trespass", "malicious mischief", or other terms. Depending on the specific state and value of the property damage, violation of vandalism laws is either a misdemeanor or felony offense. Penalties typically include fines, imprisonment in county jail, or both. In addition, a person convicted of vandalism is frequently ordered to wash, repair or replace the damaged property (known as "restitution"), and/or participate in programs to clean up graffiti and other forms of vandalism. Contact your local law enforcement agency immediately.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-27-2019, 09:29 PM   #7
slapem

Is it legal to slap that neighbor silly and wake em up?