Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > BUSINESS and FINANCE LAW > Consumer Complaints

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-22-2019, 09:13 AM   #1
Capp two
Capp two's Flag is: United States

Default Writer's Digest refund and unauthorized charge problem

Hi, I am a resident of Karachi, Pakistan. Couple of years ago, I subscribed for a year to Writer's Digest in the US, a well known magazine having both online & physical presence. However, a year back, after my subscription was over, Writers Digest took the liberty to reuse my credit card without bothering to even inform me. I received the transaction confirmation on my sms and only after few days I was informed via email that they have taken such a liberty. Its a year old case, & back then I wasn't aware that I could sue someone across one country from another. Do I still have a case? plz help
Capp two is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 11-23-2019, 12:36 PM   #2
AFFA
Top Level Member

Default Re: Writer's Digest refund and unauthorized charge problem

I wish to inform you that it is written on the Website of Writer's Digest, "CONTINUOUS SERVICE PROGRAM: Your subscription will continue without interruption until you cancel. Before the start of each new term, you'll receive a reminder notifying you via email of the current annual rate. Your credit card will be charged or you will receive an invoice at the then-current rate. You authorize your account to be charged at the rate on the reminder unless you cancel. You may cancel at any time by contacting customer service and you will receive a refund." You may contact customer service and receive a refund.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2019, 12:59 PM   #3
adjusterjack
Top Level Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capp two View Post
Do I still have a case? plz help
You didn't have one then and you don't have one now.

Affa quoted the applicable Terms of Service. You failed to follow them.
adjusterjack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2019, 05:06 PM   #4
Mack10

But in any case call customer service and explain.
If you didn't do that when you learned of the charge.

It's not likely they will argue with you over this amount of money.

Old 12-06-2019, 02:15 AM   #5
Lexus
Top Level Member

Writers Digest's action amount to unfair trade practice. Unfair trade practice refers to the use of various deceptive, fraudulent, or unethical methods to obtain business. Unfair trade practices include misrepresentation, false advertising or representation of a good or service, tied selling, false free prize or gift offers, deceptive pricing, and non-compliance with manufacturing standards. In the United States, unfair trade practices are addressed by the Federal Trade Commission Act, which prohibits “unfair or deceptive acts or practices in or affecting commerce.” It applies to all individuals engaged in commerce, including banks, and sets the legal standard for unfair trade practices, which may be deemed unfair, deceptive, or both.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote