Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > REAL ESTATE and PROPERTY LAW > Landlord vs Tenant Issues

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-21-2014, 02:43 AM   #11
UdyRegan

Default Re: Paying 2 months rent for lease break in NJ not working

Wishing you the best to find out the best way to go about doing this mate. Honestly I feel you that it's painful to be paying out double in both places, but maybe you take the opportunity to have your things in storage at one location while you make the move? It's pretty clear in the contract that you can't break the lease, but maybe what you CAN do is assist you LL to find someone new? Ask around for your friends who are looking for a place or even the storage room too and see if they're willing to chip in and help you out of a tight spot.
UdyRegan is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 11-21-2014, 06:40 AM   #12
Lexus
Top Level Member

Read through your lease and specifically look for a lease-breaking clause to see what warrants a lease break, and under what conditions you're allowed to break the lease. Negotiate with your landlord based on your contract specifications when you want to move out. Usually, the tenant may be required to make rental payments until the expiration of the lease or until the unit is re-rented, whichever comes first. After the landlord re-rents the apartment the tenant has no further obligation to pay rent. If your landlord takes no steps to find a new tenant and then attempts to collect the balance of the rent in a lawsuit, then you should hire an attorney to present your case in the court.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2019, 10:34 AM   #13
Unregistered

Good discussion here, and it just helped me prove a point to my very stubborn friend!!

Old 04-07-2019, 04:23 PM   #14
adjusterjack
Top Level Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Good discussion here, and it just helped me prove a point to my very stubborn friend!!
And you just annoyed the hell out of everybody by posting a useless comment on a 4+ year old thread.

adjusterjack is offline   Reply With Quote