Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY > Child Custody and Support

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2020, 11:27 PM   #1
ViktorDonovan
ViktorDonovan's Flag is: United States

Default Advice needed on a bad child support case (tennessee state)

Okay so before my partner spends a ton of money I would like some advice on how to go after this, if anyone would mind.

The father is a deadbeat and expects her to drive 3+ hours away after HE decided to move away to see the child (she has the child full time) He does not pay child support, or come visit because "I have a garbage car and can't make the drive" (I have screenshots of him claiming this)

He won't send any money to her, he won't come see the kid, and he thinks it's her responsibility to bring the child there.

Now I know he 1) Won't give up custody of the child and 2) Won't pay. If she gets the courts involved what do we need to prepare for an all out war? I am not pushing her either way, but she is tired of his games and I figured I would seek advice here.

He blames her for him not seeing his child (again, her not driving up there to drop the child off) and it's a mess. I just want the best for my friend before she goes to court.

EDIT: she does not have full custody and she wants to fight for it

Last edited by ViktorDonovan; 02-10-2020 at 09:42 AM.
ViktorDonovan is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 02-10-2020, 12:29 AM   #2
Lexus
Top Level Member

Default Re: Advice needed on a bad child support case (tennessee state)

Having a child carries with it an enormous financial responsibility. A court order is needed to begin the child support process. This can happen at any time, whether it's just after the birth of a child or after you've been separated--but not divorced--for several months or years. As a rule, however, it's often better to apply sooner, rather than later. Child support typically begins on the date the order is filed. It is not retroactive beyond the date of the filing which is why it’s so important to begin the process as soon as possible. Court orders are available through your local child support agency. You can choose to have the agencies represent you, hire an attorney or represent yourself. An attorney is usually the best idea because they don’t have an emotional interest in the case and will not be swayed by excuses. Family law attorneys also have specialized knowledge and experience relevant to child support and custody issues. If you choose to represent yourself you need to be sure you’ve equipped with as much information as possible.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2020, 09:39 AM   #3
ViktorDonovan
ViktorDonovan's Flag is: United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexus View Post
Having a child carries with it an enormous financial responsibility. A court order is needed to begin the child support process. This can happen at any time, whether it's just after the birth of a child or after you've been separated--but not divorced--for several months or years. As a rule, however, it's often better to apply sooner, rather than later. Child support typically begins on the date the order is filed. It is not retroactive beyond the date of the filing which is why it’s so important to begin the process as soon as possible. Court orders are available through your local child support agency. You can choose to have the agencies represent you, hire an attorney or represent yourself. An attorney is usually the best idea because they don’t have an emotional interest in the case and will not be swayed by excuses. Family law attorneys also have specialized knowledge and experience relevant to child support and custody issues. If you choose to represent yourself you need to be sure you’ve equipped with as much information as possible.

Thanks for your response, and the time you took. Now if she wants to go after full custody, what would we need to secure it? She knows he won't give it up, and she is going to try all she can to get it from him.

We are planning on finding a lawyer in March or so, and any before hand evidence that he doesn't do anything at all would be great.
ViktorDonovan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2020, 02:43 PM   #4
Highwayman
Top Level Member

Your "partner" need an attorney, not a third party (i.e. YOU) getting second-hand information on an Internet forum.
Highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2020, 05:13 PM   #5
Unregistered

Everybody can help by obtaining information.

I think you miss the point of forums high man.

Old 02-11-2020, 07:24 AM   #6
goddessoflubboc
Top Level Member

Was she married to him? Do they have any court orders?

If the answer to both of those above is no, then she has sole legal and physical custody of the child. In order to get child support, assuming paternity has been established, she needs to file in court where the child resides. If dad wants custody/visitation he needs to file in court also in order to get those rights.
goddessoflubboc is offline   Reply With Quote