Legal to have a pet possum in Michigan?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unregistered

Re: Legal to have a pet possum in Michigan?

Is it legal to eat possum in Michigan?

Comment

• Unregistered

I think that sounds disgusting but it is not illegal unfortunately.

Comment

• Unregistered

Originally posted by Unregistered
        Incidentally, possums are not "reptiles". They are considered rodents.

Just because people are stupid enough to own "exotic" (translation, dangerous, wild) does not mean it's legal.
        Actually they are considered marsupials aka, part of the kangaroo and sugar glider family just to name a few common animals. So if we really wanna get down to specifics, let's get our facts right, shall we?

Comment

• Unregistered

we shall...

Comment

• Unregistered

My dear, not an animal on this planet (humans included) is predictable. You chastise others for doing research before you respond but you don't even know enough to realize no animal is predictable?

They are not legal in many states, and while something may be "trainable", it doesn't mean the animal is a good choice for a pet. Many "trained" animals attack their owners and kill them. Possums are capable of killing people. You knew that, right?

Incidentally, learn to read posts before you respond to them. It said they are CONSIDERED rodents. Have you actually seen a real life opossum? They may have a pouch, but they look and are considered very much like rodents. Which is why they are considered pest in urban neighborhoods and normal people usually discourage them from destroying their gardens, property, etc. They DO carry diseases, just like any other wild animal is prone to do.
            Wow, you’re seriously the best example I’ve seen in a long time of a stupid person attempting an intelligent facade. Poorly, but trying all the same.

Comment

• Unregistered

Didn't the Beverly Hillbillies used to eat em?
              Is it legal to eat em now?

Comment

• Lexus
                Top Level Member
                ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
                • Sep 2010
                • United States

Every state has different exotic pet laws. In some places, you can have a pet squirrel or kangaroo while other places you can't even have a pet rabbit. Some states are specific as to what animals they restrict while others allow pretty much anything to be kept as a pet.

In Michigan, Opossum is regarded as a game animal.

Permits to Hold Game in Captivity authorize the possession of animals reared in captivity only. They do not authorize the possession of animals taken from the wild in Michigan. Only licensed wildlife rehabilitators can possess injured or orphaned animals from the wild in Michigan.

A Permit to Hold Game in Captivity is required to possess, propagate, sell, transport, or make any other commercial or personal use of live animals defined as game in Michigan. In addition, a Permit to Hold Game in Captivity is required for the possession of live animals which closely resemble game species and can reasonably be confused with game species as determined by the Department. A Permit to Hold Game in Captivity is required for the possession of the following game animals: badger, bobcat, fox (Urocyon cinereoargenteus and Vulpes vulpes), raccoon, coyote, beaver, otter, muskrat, mink, squirrel, skunk (Mephitis mephitis), woodchuck, opossum, pheasant (Phasianus colchicus), bobwhite quail, Hungarian partridge, ducks, geese, and wild turkeys. Michigan game animals not listed above may not be possessed under a Permit to Hold Game in Captivity.

Comment

My neighbor has a pet possum even though everybody says it is not allowed in MI.
                  If I report him do I tell the police or directly to some other authority. Do I need proof?

I personally think it's cruel. Those animals are not meant to be pets, out on a leash.

Comment

• adjusterjack
                    Top Level Member
                    ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
                    • May 2016

Didn't you read post number 22? Duh.

Comment

"Incidentally, possums are not "reptiles". They are considered rodents.

Just because people are stupid enough to own "exotic" (translation, dangerous, wild) does not mean it's legal."

"Incidentally" opossum are marsupials and it is legal to own one with the proper permit.

Comment

In Michigan, Opossum is regarded as a game animal.

Permits to Hold Game in Captivity authorize the possession of animals reared in captivity only. They do not authorize the possession of animals taken from the wild in Michigan. Only licensed wildlife rehabilitators can possess injured or orphaned animals from the wild in Michigan.

Comment

Didn't the Beverly Hillbillies have a pet possum in their mansion? If they can have one I should have one.

Comment

Flame war on the opossum page
                            LOL I didn't know it was so complex...

Comment

I would be afraid to touch one, they look like big shaggy rats.

Comment

They are wild and should NOT be pets--ever.

Lulu

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                Smile :) Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Mad :mad: Confused :confused: Frown :( Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:

do blue dogs live on the moon... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...