Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY > Other Family Law Matters

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-22-2020, 09:57 AM   #1
enson
enson's Flag is: United States

Default Is it still legal to adopt a child from Guatemala?

Is it still legal to adopt a child from Guatemala and have the child move to the USA?

I believe there were problems between the two countries and adoptions maybe were stopped partially or totally, but what is the true situation now?

I have had contact with a family there that want/need to place a child for adoption.
enson is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 01-22-2020, 01:07 PM   #2
AFFA
Top Level Member

Default Re: Is it still legal to adopt a child from Guatemala?

I wish to inform you that Guatemala has currently suspended the adoption process in order to create a Central Authority to process adoptions, which will make Guatemala Hague Compliant. Once the Central Authority has been created and the new process identified, Guatemalan Adoptions are expected to continue under the new process. You may contact an attorney and seek further guidance.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2020, 01:11 AM   #3
Lexus
Top Level Member

Default Re: Is it still legal to adopt a child from Guatemala?

To adopt a child from another country and bring that child to live in the United States, you must first be found eligible to adopt under U.S. law. The federal agency that makes this determination is U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), part of the Department of Homeland Security. You may not bring an adopted child (or a child for which you have gained legal custody for the purpose of immigration and adoption) into the United States until USCIS determines that you are eligible to adopt from another country.

Intercountry adoptions are not currently possible between Guatemala and the United States because the Government of Guatemala is not processing intercountry adoptions with any country at this time. This is because of widespread corruption and fraud in adoption. Further, the Government of Guatemala about their readiness to resume intercountry adoption, they have indicated that their priority is to continue developing their domestic adoption processes.

Last edited by Lexus; 01-23-2020 at 04:30 AM.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote