Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > REAL ESTATE and PROPERTY LAW > Landlord vs Tenant Issues

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2020, 12:57 PM   #1
khankhankhan
khankhankhan's Flag is: United States

Default 30 days notice

I am an international student living in Kansas. I was living in an apartment which had its lease till the 31st of Jan. I was sent regular emails to extend my lease but since I was planning to move out I didn't sign the extension. Now I'm new to the US and I had no idea that I had to let the renter know 30 days prior of moving out. I moved out before the 31st and after 2 days received a notification that the rent of February was being taken from me as well. I contacted the leasing agent and they said there's nothing they can do. If only I had received any email or message suggesting me to give a notice prior leaving from them I would have done it. I am a student and giving out the rent of 2 places in a month is really tough for me. Is there anything I can do?
khankhankhan is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 02-10-2020, 02:45 PM   #2
Highwayman
Top Level Member

Default Re: 30 days notice

No. Next time don't ignore communications from your landlord.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse.
Highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2020, 05:12 PM   #3
Miranda77

hmm--Normally the lease is ONLY valid for it's term that you signed unless the contract says otherwise.

You can argue that the other extension lease terms (if they exist) were not disclosed adequately.

Do not rush to pay this or believe the landlord is correct.

Old 02-10-2020, 08:23 PM   #4
adjusterjack
Top Level Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miranda77 View Post
hmm--Normally the lease is ONLY valid for it's term that you signed unless the contract says otherwise.
True. And I posted the statute for the OP on another site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miranda77 View Post

You can argue that the other extension lease terms (if they exist) were not disclosed adequately.
If the 30 day requirement WAS in the lease then it WAS adequately disclosed and the OP has no excuse for not reading it.
adjusterjack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2020, 01:11 AM   #5
Lexus
Top Level Member

Lease Renewal Agreement is a document used for a Landlord and Tenant to extend the term of a Lease that is about to expire for an additional term. The Renewal Agreement allows the Landlord and Tenant to continue the renting relationship.
A landlord may choose to terminate a tenancy at the end of a lease. If a landlord would like to end a lease when its term expires, some states require the landlord to give notice to the tenant even though the lease already specifies the termination date. 60 days is usually a sufficient notice for a tenant to search for a new rental. If it is a month-to-month rental agreement tenant must provide a landlord with a written 30-day notice of the intent to terminate the tenancy. In most cases, a tenant may give notice of termination at anytime during the month. If the rental agreement specifies that a tenant may only give notice on a certain day of each month, however, then the tenant must wait until that day to give notice.
Your landlord already informed you regarding the extension of the lease agreement. Now the better option is you can request your landlord for renewal of lease agreement if the landlord not leased the property to a new tenant.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote