Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > ACCIDENTS, PERSONAL INJURY, INSURANCE > Injury and Worker's Compensation

Register FAQ Tags Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-27-2011, 11:01 AM   #1
munch34m

Default Slip and fall on lunch break -- Alberta, Canada

I work as a company employed courier, (not a sub contractor). 6 weeks ago I slipped on ice and fell at the doorway of the restaurant where I stopped for lunch. I broke my right leg, and tore all the ligaments and tendons in my right ankle. I've had surgery and a screw put into the ankle. I just got back from my follow up appointment with my surgeon who has told me that for the another 6 weeks I am not to put any weight on the leg and to keep the ankle elevated. I am covered through workers compensation as the injury happened during my regular work day. Is there any way I can sue the restaurant for my pain, suffering, and loss of overtime wages that compensation doesn't cover, or is there a process of getting this through compensation. I am located in Alberta, Canada. Thanks for you help folks!!!
munch34m is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 04-27-2011, 03:38 PM   #2
AFFA
Top Level Member

Default Re: Slip and fall on lunch break -- Alberta, Canada

I wish to inform you that you can claim compensation from restaurant only on those grounds which are not covered by your workers compensation and for which arises directly from your injury. In this regard compensation for pain and suffering may be claimed. As regards overtime wages it may not be allowed because it is not fixed as an employee generally is promised with salary for normal working hours only. Overtime wages are exceptional when there is overtime work and hence it may not be claimed by you.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-27-2011, 03:53 PM   #3
Friend In Court
Top Level Member
Friend In Court's Flag is: United States

A restaurant has a duty to keep its sidewalk and doorway clear of hazards including ice and snow. Your injuries must be very painful. My recommendation is that you see a personal injury lawyer for an evaluation of the merits and value of your claim. Sometimes these matters are settled without expensive litigation.
Friend In Court is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2011, 10:53 AM   #4
A Burley

WCB has to pay your O.T. Send your pay stubs into WCB, and they will pay it.