USAC Banner 728x90

Collapse

Non Compete Agreement (negotiating a new job with a company that is a competitor)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ConsultantGuy
    • Feb 2010

Non Compete Agreement (negotiating a new job with a company that is a competitor)

I currently work as a technical consultant for a software company. I am in the process of negotiating a potential job with a company that is a competitor of my current employer. I signed a non-compete agreement with my current employer when I was hired 5+ years ago that states I cannot work for any competitor anywhere in the world for a period of 12 months after leaving my current company. The company I work for now is based in Massachusetts and I work at corporate headquarters. The competitor is based in Europe but I would be telecommuting when not traveling to customer sites. Their only office in the US is in Texas. The position at the competitor would be the same as the position I currently hold. I do not have knowledge of the inner workings of our software, lists of sales prospects, etc. Am I at risk of legal action if I leave my current company to pursue this opportunity with the competitor?
  • Unregistered

Re: Non Compete Agreement (negotiating a new job with a company that is a competitor)

It's unlikely, but even if it were, non-competes very, very rarely hold up in court. Let them sue. They will lose.

Comment

• msg
      Top Level Member
      ☆☆☆☆☆☆
      • Mar 2007
      • United States

Re: Non Compete Agreement (negotiating a new job with a company that is a competitor)

[ I cannot work for any competitor anywhere in the world for a period of 12 months ]

Almost certainly invalid in any court as too broad.

You do have to work and the courts know that. The law is very protective of that right.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      Smile :) Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Mad :mad: Confused :confused: Frown :( Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:

the color of a red rose is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...