Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > LABOR and EMPLOYMENT LAW > Job Discrimination and Harassment

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-19-2019, 08:54 AM   #1
John3232
John3232's Flag is: United States

Default Can I sue a large corporate restaurant?

What is the name of your state? Georgia
I just recently turned 18. I work in a restaurant which is one of hundreds. When I was 16/17 and still in school they use to work me over 5 hours without breaks. The manager has said sexual things about my girlfriend to me. When working a job they often make you do something else and you do not get paid for it. Even when I'm clocked out and let's say leaving I'll be asked to do things. I quit my day school for this job and it's a very uncomfortable environment. Do I have a case against them? I thought about threatening them with going to the news and exposing them. Where would I find legal help? Especially if I don't have money for it?
John3232 is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 11-19-2019, 11:08 AM   #2
adjusterjack
Top Level Member

Default Re: Can I sue a large corporate restaurant?

You're all over the net this morning.

Won't change the answers.
adjusterjack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2019, 06:47 AM   #3
Lexus
Top Level Member

Default Re: Can I sue a large corporate restaurant?

Georgia’s Child Labor laws protect minors under the age of 18 from dangerous work environments and ensure they have sufficient time to devote to school and obtaining an education while employed. These laws also help employers reduce lost production time and workers’ compensation costs by reducing workplace injuries. Violating Georgia’s child labor laws is a misdemeanor. The federal Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) also restricts child labor. When there is a difference in state, federal, or local law regarding child labor, the law providing the most protection to the minor takes precedence.
As you have turned 18 now, you may want to contact a labor law attorney to see if you can still file a claim. You may also contact the GA DOL.

Georgia Department of Labor
Child Labor
148 Andrew Young International Blvd., N.E., Suite 700
Atlanta, GA 30303-1751
Telephone: 404.232.3260
Email: childlabor@gdol.ga.gov
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote