Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > ACCIDENTS, PERSONAL INJURY, INSURANCE > Injury and Worker's Compensation

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-29-2019, 01:08 PM   #1
JoeSacramento
JoeSacramento's Flag is: United States

Default Exposure to Asbestos - Single Family Residence

Hello Everyone:

My family rented a single family residence where the owner had recently done roof/ceiling repairs and removed the old "popcorn" acoustic ceiling spray. After a week of living there, I began finding the material in the corners of a room, along window sills, and in a vent. I tested the material and it returned positive for chrysotile asbestos. We moved out immediately.

I threw out nearly all of our soft furniture since it was contaminated and am suing the owner in small claims court for the loss of property. Should I also sue for exposure to asbestos and pain and suffering? Or, should I not sue for pain and suffering at this time since we have not developed any medical complications?

My main question is if I sue now for the exposure, would I be prevented from suing in the future if an asbestos related medical issue develops? Thank you for your help.
JoeSacramento is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 11-29-2019, 01:26 PM   #2
AFFA
Top Level Member

Default Re: Exposure to Asbestos - Single Family Residence

I wish to inform you that you are typically eligible to file a mesothelioma lawsuit if you can provide documentation of the cancer diagnosis and the asbestos exposure history that caused it. You may contact an attorney and seek guidance.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2019, 11:24 PM   #3
goddessoflubboc
Top Level Member

While theoretically exposure to one fiber of asbestos is enough to cause asbestosis or mesothelioma, in fact it generally takes prolonged exposures in order for there to be any ill effects. Certainly, you would need to call whatever the Housing Authority in your town is called to let them know that he apparently remediated the asbestos on his own and did not do a very good job. You also likely have a case against your landlord for your upholstered furniture. At this point, lacking any symptoms or diagnosis you have no action for any kind of future pain and suffering or ailments. Since you would not be suing for them now you could, possibly, sue for those later.
goddessoflubboc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2019, 07:28 AM   #4
Lexus
Top Level Member

An asbestosis/mesothelioma personal injury suit can be initiated only after receiving a mesothelioma diagnosis. It allows the patient to recover money for treatment, travel, lost income, pain, suffering and related costs.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote