Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY and INTERNET LAW > Copyright, Trademark, Patent

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2017, 12:54 AM   #1
Noordhamani
Noordhamani's Flag is: India

Default Copyright an idea on youtube possible?

I have an idea of a series of videos that i can uploaad on youtubr. But i am scared that as soon as i upload it. Im sure other will begin uploading videos just like mine.
Its only the idea that matters to me. I know they can't re upload my video. But i want to know if i can have a copyright on the idea as well and have control over it as its my own. Any information will be gladly accepted. Thank you.
Noordhamani is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 02-07-2017, 03:21 AM   #2
AFFA
Top Level Member

Default Re: Copyright an idea on youtube possible?

I wish to inform you that idea cannot be copyrighted. Your copyright is of contents thus your video is your copyright. Any use of video without your approval is violation of your rights. However I wish to inform you that idea itself cannot be under copyright.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2017, 08:23 AM   #3
Lexus
Top Level Member

You will not get copyright protection for ideas. You can get copyright for your ideas only if it is in a recorded form. So in your case you can avail copyright protection for your work products. It is good to consult with law firms practicing copyrights and patents.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2017, 04:42 AM   #4
LJJ

However, note that a pattern or concept or collection that is unique can be copyrighted, so depending on what the idea is, you MIGHT be able to have some degree of copyright protection.

Old 02-09-2017, 08:06 AM   #5
Disagreeable
Top Level Member
Disagreeable's Flag is: United States

You also then run into an issue of recognition the work across countries. Your best way to do it IMO, is to put out a teaser video, referring viewers to a pay site, where you are marketing your idea formally for sale.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.
Disagreeable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2017, 07:18 PM   #6
Wenton2
Top Level Member
Wenton2's Flag is: United States

When you get into the gray area regarding copyright law a formal legal opinion is definitely helpful. But by and large if you really do have a unique creative idea And product you will have copyright protection.
Wenton2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2019, 11:52 AM   #7
werfman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noordhamani View Post
I have an idea of a series of videos that i can uploaad on youtubr. But i am scared that as soon as i upload it. Im sure other will begin uploading videos just like mine.
Its only the idea that matters to me. I know they can't re upload my video. But i want to know if i can have a copyright on the idea as well and have control over it as its my own. Any information will be gladly accepted. Thank you.

I faced pretty much the the same recently.

For a modest fee you can have an attorney set up some basic trademark, copyright and/or provisional patent protection.

Or you can just take your chances that your common law rights will protect you once you can prove it is your idea (if somebody tries to steal it). You do have some rights automatically by law.