Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY > Child Custody and Support

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-20-2009, 04:22 AM   #1
LJ Admin

Default Kansas: New law helps 75-year-old Kansas judge stay on bench

Thanks to a change in state law, the docket of divorce and child support cases that a 75-year-old Kansas judge presided over Friday weren't his last.

Reno County District Judge Richard Rome's birthday was Saturday, a milestone that would have spelled the end of his career before July. But the new law, sometimes called "Rome's law," allows all judges who turn 75 during their term to complete the term if they choose and then retire.

Previously, Court of Appeals and district court judges were required to step down at age 75 and Supreme Court justices five years earlier, with no exception made for finishing their term.

Now the rules are the same for all the judges.

More...

New law helps 75-year-old Kansas judge stay on bench - Kansas City Star
LJ Admin is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 09-20-2009, 11:45 AM   #2
Unregistered

Default Re: Kansas: New law helps 75-year-old Kansas judge stay on bench

It's sad and scary how mainstream U.S.A. is forced to retire at age 65 while people in positions that can make or break a person's whole life get to keep theirs. 75 is not an age I feel comfortable having a weakened mind making decisions that will affect my life. Like it or not, we do degenerate with age, our brains as well. There should be an age limit for situations like this, perhaps 62. 75 is too old to be doing a job that requires critical thinking skills and good judgment.

Old 09-20-2009, 03:53 PM   #3
Gbyte
Top Level Member
Gbyte's Flag is: United States

Default Re: Kansas: New law helps 75-year-old Kansas judge stay on bench

I think it's more of an old fashioned mind that concerns me. Most 75 year olds still expect society to the same as when they were younger and don't accept change. If they are capable of making objective decisions that take into account todays society I say go for it. But there should be some sort of system to check judges for bias or deteriorating mental capacity.
Gbyte is offline   Reply With Quote