X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dilly

US non-profit donation to cause in Israel

Hi:

Can a small US tax exempt organization, that is normally not active internationally, give funds to a charitable event in Israel?

Is it allowed to do that for an event outside the US?
    Or is any special permission needed?
    This organization that we're talking to is not quite sure of the answer to that question.
    Thanks!!
  • Disagreeable
    Top Level Member
    ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • Oct 2012
    • United States

Re: US non-profit donation to cause in Israel

What is the US tax exempt orgs mission? What are the funds for? What organization is receiving them? Why are they receiving them?
    Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

• AFFA
      Top Level Member
      ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
      • Dec 2009

I wish to inform you that a United States non profit may give grants to a foreign NGO or may advance its charitable goals in another country by supporting the work of a local NGO qualified to operate there. Private foundations must either exercise expenditure responsibility or obtain an equivalency determination in making such grants. Boards of public charities are responsible for exercising reasonable care in making grants to ensure that the grants are not diverted from their charitable purpose.

AFF

Comment

• Sama22
        • Sep 2016
        • Singapore

Originally posted by Dilly
        Hi:

Can a small US tax exempt organization, that is normally not active internationally, give funds to a charitable event in Israel?

Is it allowed to do that for an event outside the US?
        Or is any special permission needed?
        This organization that we're talking to is not quite sure of the answer to that question.
        Thanks!!

Yes that is perfectly fine but it needs to fit your articles of association, and it needs to be defensible and audit proof if the IRS demands a review of the expenditures. My sister in law has a nonprofit in the US that does a very similar thing three or 4 times a year.

Comment

• olive
          Top Level Member
          ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
          • Mar 2008

Personally for any out of the country expenditures, I would have counsel review and opine on the propriety of such activity.

Comment

• Unregistered

Do you think there is more likely a chance of audit if you are participating in a foreign project, then if it is all within the US?

Comment

• Disagreeable
              Top Level Member
              ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
              • Oct 2012
              • United States

Definitely. You could be running a non profit to launder money out of the country.
              Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

• Unregistered

Well I would assume the questioner is not doing that or they would not be asking here for opinions and advice.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                Smile :) Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Mad :mad: Confused :confused: Frown :( Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:

the color of a red rose is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...