Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > LABOR and EMPLOYMENT LAW > Job Discrimination and Harassment

Register FAQ Tags Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-20-2020, 10:23 AM   #1
Yukojax
Yukojax's Flag is: United States

Default Recourse?

I was hired one year ago as a salaried project manager. We decided procedures on the computer and PM in general would have to be taught to me. This task was given to a staff Engineer. The engineer immediately had a bias towards me, I discovered this was due in part to my religion.
This engineer has lied, cheated and done everything in his power to get me fired. Recently, It was decided that my status shall be changed and I will no longer be considered a salaried employee.
95% of my duties will remain the same however my pay has been severely reduced. Do I have any recourse?
Yukojax is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 02-20-2020, 10:31 AM   #2
adjusterjack
Top Level Member

Default Re: Recourse?

Quote:
I discovered this was due in part to my religion.
Can you prove that? With evidence? Documentation? Witnesses? Did you ever report any overt religious discrimination to your employer?

If no to all those questions, your likely recourse is to seek employment elsewhere.
adjusterjack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2020, 01:41 AM   #3
Lexus
Top Level Member

Default Re: Recourse?

Unfortunately, companies sometimes allow bias, not work performance, to dictate how an employee’s career unfolds. Despite positive feedback, this bias means some employees: are passed over for promotions, are paid less for doing the same or more work, are forced to retire etc. There are federal and state laws that protect employees’ rights. Just because the laws exist, however, doesn’t mean all companies abide by them. Anyone can be the victim of workplace discrimination or bias. Please keep the below things with you before filing a complaint so that it will help to protect your rights.

Document everything: Write down as many details as possible, including incidents, witnesses, dates, and other employees who may have been victims of discriminatory treatment.
Don’t sign anything: Don’t sign anything—including severance packages—until you have contacted an experienced employment attorney. Your employer had an attorney make sure their rights were protected, and you should do the same.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote