Register FAQ Tags Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 04:25 PM   #21
goddessoflubboc
Top Level Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I'm pretty sure most high school calculators can do the same thing.
My point exactly, in reverse. If calculators are not permitted then it makes sense that phones wouldn't be either.
goddessoflubboc is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 04-04-2013, 03:20 PM   #22
Unregistered

Default Re: High school in Texas: Can they take your cell phone and make you pay?

Calculators don't let you text your neighbor for help or google the answer.

As to the fee: if your car gets towed for being in a no parking zone, you have to pay a ticket and a fee to get your car back. Same thing.

In Texas, the law allows for a fine of up to $15, or DISPOSAL. The school can legally throw your son's phone in the trash (must provide 30 days prior notice). I don't know of any schools that dispose of cell phones but it is allowed by law.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:09 PM   #23
goddessoflubboc
Top Level Member

Default Re: High school in Texas: Can they take your cell phone and make you pay?

Actually in Texas Education Code Sec. 37.103, permits the board of trustees of a school district to enact rules necessary to maintain general order on school grounds. This would permit confiscation of just about anything, but does not permit disposal.

There is no state law or statute that speaks directly to cell phones in school.

I'd like to see the rules enforced against teachers as well. I've personally seen many teachers answering their cells and take personal non-urgent calls during instructional time.
goddessoflubboc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2015, 07:53 PM   #24
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
oopps---wrong above.

If I may weigh in...The school can confiscate the cell phone if the rules say so.
Students do not have the same rights as the public generally.
We do it all the time and the judge's back us up!

Teacher in Iowa
You can take it away temporarily, but you can not seize the phone, especially not force your students to pay to get it back, In my state (Louisiana) the teachers aren't even allowed to take the phone

Old 02-23-2015, 10:27 PM   #25
Disagreeable
Top Level Member
Disagreeable's Flag is: United States

My son stores complicated formulas on his phone that are plug n chug. It gives him an advantage over other students not possessing a high functioning phone in tests where phone use is permitted. He also has web sites with formulas stored.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.
Disagreeable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2015, 11:08 AM   #26
ItsNotMyFault

Is it right for me to argue the fact i have the rights and they cant make MY phone that my father works his tail off for?And charge 15$ for my main question where does the money go to?
ItsNotMyFault is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2015, 05:31 PM   #27
130smartchick
Top Level Member

Having a cell phone on your person at school is not a right. I would recommend you read the Constitution in your free time.

I would suggest you ask them where the money goes.
130smartchick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2020, 04:04 AM   #28
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130smartchick View Post
Having a cell phone on your person at school is not a right. I would recommend you read the Constitution in your free time.

I would suggest you ask them where the money goes.

It should be a right, and a safety requirement.
I am not giving up mine.

Old 03-30-2020, 11:16 AM   #29
Lexus
Top Level Member

Schools across the country have been cracking down on cell phone use but nowhere has that stance been stronger than in Texas where state regulations allow individual districts to confiscate the devices and charge up to $15 for their return.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 03-30-2020, 12:57 PM   #30
Highwayman
Top Level Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexus View Post
Schools across the country have been cracking down on cell phone use but nowhere has that stance been stronger than in Texas where state regulations allow individual districts to confiscate the devices and charge up to $15 for their return.

Years late again. Where were you when the OP posted??
Highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote