• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dodge2009
    • Jan 2017
    • United States

Opened mail

Hello,

I received a gift in the mail at my job from one of our customers that I handle. The envelope was addressed to my name and it had the company address. There was no sender name or address but they wrote "Personal" on the envelope. The envelope contained a $50 check for me as a gift and a greeting card. Prior to bringing me the envelope the company owner opened it and removed the check and gave me the card. Although it was in my name, but sent to the company address does that give them the legal right to open it? Or is it just another unethical practice that they have?

Thank you
  • AFFA
    Top Level Member
    ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • Dec 2009

Re: Opened mail

I wish to inform you that according to US POST, mail is delivered when it reaches the workplace. As a result, employers may not be in violation of federal law if they open personal mail addressed to employees.

AFF

Comment

• Lexus
      Top Level Member
      ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
      • Sep 2010
      • United States

This is not an unethical practice and invasion of privacy from the part of your employer. The employers do have the right to open the mail addressed to you at your office address.

Comment

• victoria889

Originally posted by Dodge2009
        Hello,

I received a gift in the mail at my job from one of our customers that I handle. The envelope was addressed to my name and it had the company address. There was no sender name or address but they wrote "Personal" on the envelope. The envelope contained a $50 check for me as a gift and a greeting card. Prior to bringing me the envelope the company owner opened it and removed the check and gave me the card. Although it was in my name, but sent to the company address does that give them the legal right to open it? Or is it just another unethical practice that they have?

Thank you

What did they do with the check?

Comment

• Disagreeable
          Top Level Member
          ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
          • Oct 2012
          • United States

How the check was endorsed is relevant to who receives the money. Company policy can also dictate regarding employees receiving gifts from customers being forbidden.
          Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

• Wenton2
            Top Level Member
            ☆☆☆☆☆☆
            • Sep 2016
            • United States

If the check was made out to you, they can either ask you to return it if against company policy or they can give it back to you, but they cannot keep the check themselves.

Comment

• larajj
              • Dec 2018
              • United States

If it was in your name then it was yours. But contact your company owner regarding the check and company policies.

Comment

• Unregistered

Certainly the company cant keep it.
                I agree.

Comment

• Unregistered

And by the way this is a common issue at Christmas.

Comment

• Lexus
                    Top Level Member
                    ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
                    • Sep 2010
                    • United States

The employer could not cash the check if it is endorsed to you.

Comment

• Unregistered

[I received a gift in the mail at my job from one of our customers that I handle.]

That seems a little odd to me. I don't think most companies would allow those gifts to be received.

Comment

• Unregistered

It is odd, and prohibited at almost every company for very good reason.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                        Auto-Saved
                        Smile :) Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Mad :mad: Confused :confused: Frown :( Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:

the color of a red dog is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...