Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > NONPROFIT LAW and FUNDRAISING > Other Nonprofit Law Issues

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-16-2012, 01:59 PM   #1
Maryellen

Default Candy bars to sell for nonprofit organizations

There are companies that sell bulk candy wrappers in generic packages to sell for nonprofit organizations. Would it be illegal to buy these and sell them and keep the money as long as no nonprofit organization is mentioned at the time of sale?
Maryellen is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 02-18-2012, 01:12 PM   #2
Arguendo

Default Re: Candy bars to sell for nonprofit organizations

No, unfortunately this will not fly. I am not saying the police will show up and arrest you the first time. I am saying, however, that once any reputable charitable organization catches wind of such a practice, you would potentially be facing some nasty consequences. Best approach is to contact any such non-profits right up front, ask permission (which will almost certainly be denied), and abide by their decision. Hope all works out.
Arguendo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2013, 07:20 PM   #3
Poet

Interestingly enough. I belong to a 501c7 Non Profit org. We are trying to sell candy bars (which we bought wholesale) in order to raise monies to finance club events. The money raised from this sale is being used to buy admission tickets Etc. It was brought to my attention because we are selling the candy bars off of club property it is technically illegal for us to do so because members are profiting from the public.
In their explanation we have to sell candy , subs or whatever else on the club property in order for the money to be considered club money. (Provided the non members are signed in as a guest for that particular day) Quote "" this is considered (NON TRADITIONAL ACTIVITIES) can anyone help clear this up. I have several other issues that need help but I am happy to take one at a time so I can fully understand it.
Poet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2016, 05:57 AM   #4
Yolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arguendo View Post
No, unfortunately this will not fly. I am not saying the police will show up and arrest you the first time. I am saying, however, that once any reputable charitable organization catches wind of such a practice, you would potentially be facing some nasty consequences. Best approach is to contact any such non-profits right up front, ask permission (which will almost certainly be denied), and abide by their decision. Hope all works out.

I can confirm that that is not legal. I work for the state tax dept.

Old 09-01-2016, 02:22 PM   #5
Ben557

Darn, I thought this was a new and original idea, but I googled it and here y'all shot it down!

Old 12-31-2016, 02:35 PM   #6
Katti878

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryellen View Post
There are companies that sell bulk candy wrappers in generic packages to sell for nonprofit organizations. Would it be illegal to buy these and sell them and keep the money as long as no nonprofit organization is mentioned at the time of sale?

Would this be legal if NO reference at all is made to any nonprofit and no name of any specific organization is on the bars?

Old 12-31-2016, 08:53 PM   #7
Disagreeable
Top Level Member
Disagreeable's Flag is: United States

Then the labels/advertising would reflect no reference to a charity and you would simply be selling your own branding of candy bars or with permission, reselling another companies. You would need the appropriate licenses to sell as a business.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.
Disagreeable is offline   Reply With Quote