Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > OTHER LEGAL ISSUES > Miscellaneous Topics

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-14-2015, 06:05 PM   #1
kanaco

Default neighbors crap on my fence

We purchased our home in 2000 had a survey done was told that neighbors post and wire fence was on our property.well old woman moved out house next door sat empty for 3 years.when new neighbor moved in in 2005 We put up a privacy fence leaving a foot and a half from old post and wire fence. 2010 in moves her boyfriend who is an a**hole decides to pull up old post fence and take over our mending fences space for his own.He has blocked off both ends of his yard so now we have to ask him for permission to get back there cause they have dogs or have him do it and by the looks of his horrendous pieced together scrap wood gate that he attached to our corner post I don't want him fixing my fence.He has wire stapled at the base of the fence all the way down.they have grasp vines and metal signs attached I can't pullthe weeds coming from their unkept side because the dogs attack your fingers and bark uncontrollably.

He has no permission to do any of this he does things when we are not home.I've tried to be neighborly but not anymore he's encroaching on my property that I pay for he took away my ability to fix my fence properly without asking. I feel violated.He knows the property line cause it was explained to the police (that he called on me) with him present.

So my question can I have him remove all of it and get away from my property as far as the law allows and what would be the best way to go about it.
kanaco is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 05-15-2015, 12:19 AM   #2
AFFA
Top Level Member

Default Re: neighbors crap on my fence

I wish to inform you that you may give notice to your neighbor regarding violation of your rights and they must remove everything because your fence was put by you in your area. If your neighbor does not agree then you may seek a court order against your neighbor ordering your neighbor to remove everything from your fence.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2015, 08:54 AM   #3
Disagreeable
Top Level Member
Disagreeable's Flag is: United States

You need to get a current land survey. Based on this, you can advise him to stay of your property after he removes the crap he attached to it.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.
Disagreeable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2015, 06:33 PM   #4
kanaco

Thank you

Old 05-16-2015, 02:52 PM   #5
Friend In Court
Top Level Member
Friend In Court's Flag is: United States

I concur with Disagreeable. Get a survey, for which the surveyor will post the property line stakes. Than proceed from there. Should anyone pull up one of those stakes, the law in every state I know of makes that a crime.

A survey helps settle neighbor boundary disputes. Or gives the evidence one needs for court.
Friend In Court is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2015, 05:26 PM   #6
kanaco

I do not have the cash right now for a new survey, my husband is afraid he will retaliate in a disasterous way like weed killer because he knows if I don't catch him in the act there's nothing I can do and he mows with weed killer. I worked in the local convenience store he came in one day I told him about is dog that barks all night he went to the manager tried to get me fired when that didn't work he called corporate and told them I was smoking pot in front of the store.he's called the police on the neighbor and I we were on the back deck having wine but told cops we smoking pot when they didn't find anything he then told them he was "paranoid" we were talking about him.
We go away most weekends my daughter is here alone because she works most weekends.He was peeping in the kitchen window at her while we were gone this past weekend.Now I have read about adverse possession and it's been two years since he's been attaching to my fence and in Indiana after 7 its his property and there is no way in he'll I'm letting that happen. So how do I protect my property from his retaliation?

Old 05-18-2015, 06:59 PM   #7
Friend In Court
Top Level Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanaco View Post
I do not have the cash right now for a new survey, my husband is afraid he will retaliate in a disasterous way like weed killer because he knows if I don't catch him in the act there's nothing I can do and he mows with weed killer. I worked in the local convenience store he came in one day I told him about is dog that barks all night he went to the manager tried to get me fired when that didn't work he called corporate and told them I was smoking pot in front of the store.he's called the police on the neighbor and I we were on the back deck having wine but told cops we smoking pot when they didn't find anything he then told them he was "paranoid" we were talking about him.
We go away most weekends my daughter is here alone because she works most weekends.He was peeping in the kitchen window at her while we were gone this past weekend.Now I have read about adverse possession and it's been two years since he's been attaching to my fence and in Indiana after 7 its his property and there is no way in he'll I'm letting that happen. So how do I protect my property from his retaliation?
You have more problems than potential adverse possession with a peeping Tom and hostile, potentially dangerous neighbor. Filing false police reports, trespassing on your property, playing peeping Tom are enough to get a restraining order against him. And a real bad dog to keep him off your property at risk of getting seriously mauled.

Restraining orders are relatively simple to get. You can get the forms online or from your local superior court. They often provide packages with instructions on the form. These are issued initially upon sworn affidavit, ex parte, meaning without the other party present. Then a hearing is scheduled usually for a couple of weeks later for a hearing to show whether it should be made permanent.

If you anticipate more problems from this guy, at the least you should report his harassment, trespass, and peeping Tom conduct to the local police. The last is worrisome. He could be a potential sex offender and the police should be so advised.

Old 05-19-2015, 06:51 PM   #8
kanaco

I just had police out, showed them the survey and they measured but didn't take into account city property line because we are on a corner so the measurement came up short butthey saw what an ass this neighbor is. He came out of his house cussing and being irate as usual.I told the officer that I am afraid to leave my daughter home by herself now and they understood after his display. I think I'm gonna have another survey done that's what the cops advised also but is it true that they put pins in the ground when they do it and if he removes them he can get in trouble?

Old 05-20-2015, 11:13 AM   #9
Friend In Court
Top Level Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanaco View Post
I just had police out, showed them the survey and they measured but didn't take into account city property line because we are on a corner so the measurement came up short butthey saw what an ass this neighbor is. He came out of his house cussing and being irate as usual.I told the officer that I am afraid to leave my daughter home by herself now and they understood after his display. I think I'm gonna have another survey done that's what the cops advised also but is it true that they put pins in the ground when they do it and if he removes them he can get in trouble?
Yes, removing survey stakes/monuments is a crime.

The peeping Tom situation one would think potentially more dangerous. Did you report that to the police?

Old 05-20-2015, 04:16 PM   #10
kanaco

Ya but they didn't care I showed them the 10 foot by 8 foot lattice we erected and grew a vigorous vine on to block him from peeping. He also caught our landscape on fire by flipping a cig butt at the base of my fence that's how we first found out he was living there.He threw a cherry bomb over the fence and blew a hole in the yard at my son's graduation that happened about a week after the fire. I can't sleep or eat cause I want this guy at a distance and just don't know where to turn. I'm gonna try to get a new survey done as soon as I can. I need help!