Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY and INTERNET LAW > Online Purchases and Sales

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-08-2008, 03:11 AM   #1
brentonmcgrath

Default Online fraud Indonesia

Two weeks ago I purchased 5 radio controlled kits through an online web page.
Alibaba.com The web page has hundreds of companies selling items. You register your details and what items you are thinking about buying in bulk, and you can either use their search engine to find sellers or they send you email alerts as to companies on their listing that are selling the item or similar items you want.

I wanted to import Baja 5bSS radio control cars to Australia.
I received a Trade alert to a company in Indonesia. I contacted the company and negotiated a deal. I received a receipt of the banking details and all of the companies contact details. I rang the company and was able to talk to a man who stated they had my order and that when they received my money by telegraphic transfer they would send my items with Fedex.

I sent the money and then the emails stopped.
I tried to ring and the phone was disconnected
I contacted the bank who verified that my money was received and the owner removed the money from the account.
They will not release any names or refund the money

I rang the police in Jakarta and explained to them what happened. They laughed and said that it happens all the time and to forget about it

I sent an email to alibaba.com
They said that they have no responsibility to verify if a seller is legitimate or not and that they are just a means for two people to get connected like a trade show.

I feel that a web company that receives money from a seller to advertise on their web page has an obligation to ensure that the seller is a legal business and that I can purchase or complete a business dealing without concern of this type of fraud

Also they contacted me using their trade alert to connect me with the seller.
Does a web company have any legal obligations to ensure that at least the companies that are advertised are genuine?

The money lost is really a small amount just $650 US but I want to know what I can do?
Should I chase the fraudster?
Should I sue the web company?
Should I forget about it?

It’s just that I feel if we don’t try and stop this kind of fraud related dealings on the internet they will continue and people will continue loosing money
I look forward to hearing from you
brentonmcgrath is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 07-25-2008, 03:27 PM   #2
indoverifier

Default re: Online fraud Indonesia

Hi:

Sad to say, the Jakarta police was right, not much you can do.

We supply a supplier verification service in Indonesia, and we deal with this kind of scammers everyday. In the beginning theya re helpful and professional. Once you hand out the money, that's all folks!

In theory all your questions look right, but in Indonesia right and feasible are quite different. Who are you going to sue? Do they really exist?
indoverifier is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2008, 03:24 AM   #3
fisher

I recently was scammed under similar circumstances.
The guys took my money and set up again under a new name but the same scam.
I've been in touch (via a friend in the uk) with the scammers and have their new bank account details.
Australian police aren't interested, neither are the 2 Jakarta Banks involved.
Any ideas on where to go with this information?
Cheers
fisher is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2008, 06:22 PM   #4
fisher

I don't suppose anyone knows the email address (or fax no) of the Bandung cyber-poldametro? I can't seem to open the link to their website.
Thanks

Old 09-20-2008, 07:34 PM   #5
MrX

Talking re: Online fraud Indonesia

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher View Post
I don't suppose anyone knows the email address (or fax no) of the Bandung cyber-poldametro? I can't seem to open the link to their website.
Thanks
FYI, it is useless when you send infos to Indonesian police via email or fax, they won't do anything with that.
MrX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2008, 03:20 AM   #6
fisher

Thanks for that.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:47 PM   #7
fisher

Well unless my email is faulty, it appears that neither the bank I transferred the money to, the bank the fraudsters now patronize or the Jakarta cyber cops wish to discuss the matter of internet crime!
Aussie fuz aren't interested, the bloke who runs the genuine company I thought I was buying from isn't bothered, there was even a slot on breakfast tv about a woman who got shafted in a Nigerian lurve con being interviewed with a cop who gave the crimestoppers telephone number out - rang that to be told "no mate, not us".
The people responsible for these scams seem to be on to a nice little earner without any likelyhood of being caught.
Ah well, another victory for those naughty Jakarta computer students (unless you have any ideas?).

Old 09-24-2008, 10:14 AM   #8
Unregistered

email world law on their home page

they may have staff there that can assist depending on your details

Old 10-23-2008, 08:09 PM   #9
djchio

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentonmcgrath View Post
Two weeks ago I purchased 5 radio controlled kits through an online web page.
Alibaba.com The web page has hundreds of companies selling items. You register your details and what items you are thinking about buying in bulk, and you can either use their search engine to find sellers or they send you email alerts as to companies on their listing that are selling the item or similar items you want.

I wanted to import Baja 5bSS radio control cars to Australia.
I received a Trade alert to a company in Indonesia. I contacted the company and negotiated a deal. I received a receipt of the banking details and all of the companies contact details. I rang the company and was able to talk to a man who stated they had my order and that when they received my money by telegraphic transfer they would send my items with Fedex.

I sent the money and then the emails stopped.
I tried to ring and the phone was disconnected
I contacted the bank who verified that my money was received and the owner removed the money from the account.
They will not release any names or refund the money

I rang the police in Jakarta and explained to them what happened. They laughed and said that it happens all the time and to forget about it

I sent an email to alibaba.com
They said that they have no responsibility to verify if a seller is legitimate or not and that they are just a means for two people to get connected like a trade show.

I feel that a web company that receives money from a seller to advertise on their web page has an obligation to ensure that the seller is a legal business and that I can purchase or complete a business dealing without concern of this type of fraud

Also they contacted me using their trade alert to connect me with the seller.
Does a web company have any legal obligations to ensure that at least the companies that are advertised are genuine?

The money lost is really a small amount just $650 US but I want to know what I can do?
Should I chase the fraudster?
Should I sue the web company?
Should I forget about it?

It’s just that I feel if we don’t try and stop this kind of fraud related dealings on the internet they will continue and people will continue loosing money
I look forward to hearing from you
Same like me, I pay to bretinga electronic and dont send me item....

where I can report to bretigna ?
djchio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2008, 06:19 AM   #10
fisher

Welcome to the club matey!
You're in good company, we've all been ripped off and are learning to live with it.