Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unregistered

Laws on bait traps for cats

What are the laws about cats being in other peoples yards? My neighbor has placed a baited cat trap in his yard and I am worried my cat will be drawn into his yard by the bait and trapped. Reports by neighbors are that he turns the cats over to animal control and owners must pay a fine to save their cat from euthenasia.
  • AFFA
    Top Level Member
    ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • Dec 2009

Re: Laws on bait traps for cats

I wish to inform you that laws regarding animal cruelty vary from state to state. Catching a cat by setting a baited cat trap is a cruelty to a cat and a person may be liable for this. In this the cat is specially being attracted and hence cat is being submitted to cruelty. You can argue that your pet is subject to undue hardship. The act of your nature is causing hardship and torture to your cat and it is cruelty and hence you can report the matter as an offence.

AFF

Comment

• Unregistered

Arguing that the cat has been "subjected to undue hardship" is really quite ridiculous, considering the cat has already been subjected to that as soon as the owner lets it out the door to roam free. The cat wouldn't be "subjected" to "undue hardship" by the neighbor's live trap if the owner of the cat was being responsible in the first place.

It is not considered cruelty to use a live trap for the purposes of taking the cat to the Humane Society.

Cats running loose throughout the neighborhood is a menace to the neighbors, and a danger to the cat. To the OP, if you do not want your cat to be trapped by this neighbor, keep it indoors or construct a fence around your property. Domestic cats are not like wild cats. They cannot fend for themselves and neglectful owners put their pets at risk when allowing them to roam. There are cruel people who will set out poisoned food/drink, there are people who will use them as target practice using various weapons, there are people who will deliberately run them over, the list goes on.

On the side of cats being a nuisance. Cats will use neighbor's garden beds, lawns, compost piles as their person toilet, cats will climb all over cars, causing scratches, cats will stalk and hunt birds (some people enjoy putting out bird feeders and attracting those birds), cats will fight with other cats in the neighborhood, exposing them to injury and/or disease.

What the neighbor is doing is a combination of being fed up, and concerned for a pet the owner clearly is not properly caring for. No domestic cat is 'entitled' to roam free, as if in the wild. It is the sole responsibility of any pet owner to property care for their pets. That includes confining the pet to its own property limit.

Comment

• Unregistered

I just want to add that human being's rights trump any pet rights in matters such as these. Human beings are the species who buy homes, and we have the right to enjoy our property without it being damaged/destroyed by ignorant, careless neighbors who allow their cats to roam free, believing it's 'cruel" to confine them to their own property. It's much crueler to subject them to the dangers that exist for them once they are put outdoors. Anyone who truly doesn't get this concept should not be allowed to even own pets.

Pet owners who allow their pets to roam free are the first to be offended at anyone actually taking issue with it. If you wish to allow your cat to roam free, don't be surprised if I send you a bill for damages caused by YOUR cat, to anything on MY property.

Again, if you don't want your cat trapped by a neighbor who is trying to take care of a problem, and trying to possibly help the cat live another day, keep your cat on your own property. It's really as simple as that. If it weren't for irresponsible, neglectful, careless pet owners, there wouldn't even be a need for these types of traps, and neighbors would not feel forced to resort to using them. I can completely understand the neighbor's frustration.

Comment

• Unregistered

Originally posted by Unregistered
          What are the laws about cats being in other peoples yards? My neighbor has placed a baited cat trap in his yard and I am worried my cat will be drawn into his yard by the bait and trapped. Reports by neighbors are that he turns the cats over to animal control and owners must pay a fine to save their cat from euthenasia.
          Your neighbor sounds like a responsible neighbor, while you are indeed very irresponsible and a bad neighbor.

Comment

• Unregistered

My village ordinance does not allow you to live-trap cats. You have to call animal control.

Comment

• Unregistered

It is illegal in my county.

Comment

• Unregistered

I have put out traps to catch cats. Be grateful it is not anti-freeze. Consider building an outdoor cat enclosure. I really dislike smelling cat pee when I open my windows for fresh air. Cats may not have to be leashed, but owners can be sued for property damage. No one is permitted by law to allow their pets to damage another persons property.

Call your city to find out trapping laws, but also consider the damage your cat does to other property. I keep my 3 cats in my own yard, and expect others to do the same. If they don't I will remove the problem.

Comment

• Unregistered

It's hard to make a cat obey a property line. They are not like my dogs.

Comment

• Unregistered

I totally understand what you are saying. But, My neighbor has baited my cats into his yard, Trapped them and took them to the pound. I had to pay $120 to get them out, after I had searched for them for days. We have a fenced in back yard. And you say this will solve the problem. Well it obviously doesn't because cats can get out of fences. And you might say back that we are being careless letting them out. Well, we arent. Because they are indoor/ outdoor cats. We let them out when they need to use the bathroom and let them back in. Our food for them is inside.. SO OF COURSE if they SMELL FOOD coming from my neighbors yard they are going to Investigate. And first of all they wouldn't even be over there if there wasnt any food out for them to investigate. He told animal control that cats around the neighborhood are doing damages to his cars, and if he finds out the owners he is going to file a lawsuit. Well its not our cats doing the damages because they dont even damage our property.. and they arent free to roam. We have had several strays come around our house, so those are the ones doing the damages. I think there should be some kind of law saying you cant bait a trap. Because of course they are going to come over and eat the food.

Comment

• Unregistered

I have been on both sides of this issue, but have no desire to go into detail about it here. However, I
                      resolved over 10 years ago that I would never again own a cat or dog that I could not keep confined to our
                      own house and yard, without resorting to any kind of leash or chain.

Comment

• Unregistered

I totally understand what you are saying. But, My neighbor has baited my cats into his yard, Trapped them and took them to the pound. I had to pay $120 to get them out, after I had searched for them for days. We have a fenced in back yard. And you say this will solve the problem. Well it obviously doesn't because cats can get out of fences. And you might say back that we are being careless letting them out. Well, we arent. Because they are indoor/ outdoor cats. We let them out when they need to use the bathroom and let them back in. Our food for them is inside.. SO OF COURSE if they SMELL FOOD coming from my neighbors yard they are going to Investigate. And first of all they wouldn't even be over there if there wasnt any food out for them to investigate. He told animal control that cats around the neighborhood are doing damages to his cars, and if he finds out the owners he is going to file a lawsuit. Well its not our cats doing the damages because they dont even damage our property.. and they arent free to roam. We have had several strays come around our house, so those are the ones doing the damages. I think there should be some kind of law saying you cant bait a trap. Because of course they are going to come over and eat the food.
                        You can rationalize all you want to, but if you decide to own cats, it most certainly is careless to allow them outside. There is not rationalization in "well, we aren't". You ARE, period.

There should be some kind of law saying you can't bait a trap? On the contrary, there should be some kind of law that disallows stupid, irresponsible, careless people from owning animals. For if it weren't for those types of people, traps would not be necessary.

Comment

• Unregistered

Where do YOU think they go to the bathroom?! The neighbor's yard. I bet that is why they are being trapped! I am so fed up I am almost ready to do the same thing!

Comment

• Unregistered

My neighbor made a trap that drowns them.

Comment

• Unregistered

My neighbor made a trap that drowns them.
                              If you know about that, you should report it. It's called cruelty to animals.

Whoever owns these wandering cats should be stripped of their right to own pets at all. Your input is yet another danger for these poor pets who are put outside to fend for themselves by lazy, reckless, careless owners. Just another example of how dangerous human beings are to pets.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              Smile :) Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Mad :mad: Confused :confused: Frown :( Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:

the color of a lemon is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...