Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > REAL ESTATE and PROPERTY LAW > Landlord vs Tenant Issues

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2009, 11:12 PM   #11
Unregistered

Default Re: Replacement of Carpet due to Blacklight stains

If I were you, I'd have the carpet professionally cleaned. Research the company you use and check to be sure whatever they put on the carpet won't glow in that black light before you do this. Then ask the LL to check again. If the pet urine stains show up, you will be responsible for those 2 rooms' carpet. (And they will probably show up - they are in the padding by now). Not the entire unit. He can't replace rooms that aren't ruined just so they will match at your expense. He can replace that room and just charge you for a transition strip (that metal piece that joins carpet together).

Unless he still has some of that same carpet left over from when the carpet was installed, it will be impossible to repair the carpet. You need the same carpet from the same roll (since the dyes from roll will vary slightly, he can't just go get the same carpet now). Smart LLs keep the pieces left from carpet installation so they can just make repairs. This keeps one small spot or burn mark from making you replace entire rooms. You can have a professional piece in the ruined spot. But I bet he didn't keep these.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 01-20-2012, 03:42 PM   #12
OnlineYeti

I am a carpet cleaning professional and have a lot of experience in pet urine treatment and dealing with the replacement of carpet. Using a black light does show pet urine spots, but that is only half the story. I have made a video of it (see below) to show you what it looks like. Even after you clean the carpet urine stains are still visible. Pet urine, much like blood leave genetic tracers that stay visible to black light even after cleaning. Having the facts can keep you from having to pay for goods and services that you are not responsible for. I can not tell you about the laws..... that is what this site and lawyers are for. I can help you understand pet urine and how it affects your home. If you have a question please visit my site azcarpetmedic.com and leave a question.

OnlineYeti is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2015, 10:32 AM   #13
Unregistered

This should have been addressed during your walk-through inspection upon leaving and turning in your keys. They should have listed everything wrong with the unit and had you sign something agreeing to the damage. Surprise charges after the fact may actually violate your contract, so check on that.

Old 07-04-2018, 06:56 PM   #14
Forrest
Forrest's Flag is: United States

I think, you need to ask your lawyer. Because it is not your fault, if you have read your rent agreement clear. If it was not written in your agreement then you should not have to pay for your rent. But, if your pet damaged your house owner property then i think you are responsible for it. Because it was done by your pet, you bring that pet in your owner home. If you want to clean that carpet by yourself then you can buy vacuum from https://bestvacuum.reviews/vacuum-under-200/. In here you will find vacuum in reasonable price and you don't need to spend 700$, if you will clean that carpet by yourself.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote