Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > REAL ESTATE and PROPERTY LAW > Landlord vs Tenant Issues

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2007, 10:47 AM   #1
Unregistered

New Apartment Infested with Fleas!!!

I just moved into a new apartment. I was told the day before I was scheduled to move that the previous tenant had a flea problem, but it was being taken care of (removal of padding & carpet, spraying, etc...). They came and did a follow up spray 2 days later. One week after the follow up spray, I walked into my apartment and was attacked by fleas. When I complained, the office said all they could do was spray again. They did, but yesterday I found a big one on my bed and it jumped on me. Gross.

I haven't stayed in my apartment 4 out of the 8 days I've lived there thus far. I took 2 days off work and paid $250 to have people move my things. Are they required to put me in a new unit? If so, can they be held responsible for my moving costs?

Please help!

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 10-08-2007, 06:29 PM   #2
OHlandlord
Top Level Member

Default Re: New Apartment Infested with Fleas!!!

Send a notice to the LL that the flea infestation is unacceptable. Since the LL knew of this pest problem before you moved in, he should have handled it prior to renting. Check local & state law first and see if there is a list of LL obligations under the LL-Tenant section of the law. There is usually a list and one of the items is to exterminate any pests and deliver an insect-free unit. Find this statute for your state and quote it in your letter to the LL. Request that you be moved to another unit while they handle this problem, and that you receive a rent credit for the uninhabitable unit. Send this letter to him by certified mail, return receipt requested. Keep a copy. If he doesn't respond within a couple of days, call the health department and tell them about the problem. They should inspect and cite the owner for this infestation.
OHlandlord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2018, 09:56 AM   #3
MaxnD
MaxnD's Flag is: United States

Hello,

Landlords have a duty, Under the law, to maintain their rental property in a safe and decent condition. This duty applies to all leases. This duty is called the warranty of habitability. Among keeping the basic elements of your apartment in safe and decent condition, the warranty of habitability usually always includes keeping the premises pest-free. There are many legal avenues you may take including contacting a housing or health inspector, sending a letter to the landlord explaining the conditions he has failed to correct and indicate that unless immediate action is taken to clear up the problem you will be withholding rent, subsequently withhold rent and put it in a bank account, consider this to be constructive eviction. I highly recommend consulting an attorney who is knowledgeable in this area of the law.
MaxnD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2018, 03:38 AM   #4
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHlandlord View Post
Send a notice to the LL that the flea infestation is unacceptable. Since the LL knew of this pest problem before you moved in, he should have handled it prior to renting. Check local & state law first and see if there is a list of LL obligations under the LL-Tenant section of the law. There is usually a list and one of the items is to exterminate any pests and deliver an insect-free unit. Find this statute for your state and quote it in your letter to the LL. Request that you be moved to another unit while they handle this problem, and that you receive a rent credit for the uninhabitable unit. Send this letter to him by certified mail, return receipt requested. Keep a copy. If he doesn't respond within a couple of days, call the health department and tell them about the problem. They should inspect and cite the owner for this infestation.
I am on it NOW--great advice, thank you!!

I am in exactly the same situation!

Old 07-26-2018, 02:30 PM   #5
Highwayman
Top Level Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxnD View Post
Hello,
Do you think the OP happens to be around after ELEVEN YEARS?
Highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2018, 09:25 AM   #6
Unregistered

It's not the OP I am thanking, it is those that gave the advice and solutions.