Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > REAL ESTATE and PROPERTY LAW > Landlord vs Tenant Issues

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-15-2018, 06:35 AM   #1
THH12
THH12's Flag is: United States

Default Should we pay rent to the wife of the landlord?

Indiana

Hello..ok here's my question..my wife,me & our kids have been renting the house we live in for almost 5 years & our landlord just passed. He told us he took his wife off all his properties because she was spending his money on a boyfriend & drugs. and we found out he's well behind on property taxes. Should we pay her rent? he told us Never give her money.
THH12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 06-15-2018, 09:18 AM   #2
Lexus
Top Level Member

Default Re: Should we pay rent to the wife of the landlord?

In this regard as the legal heir of the deceased landlord his wife has legal right to receive rent from you unless the deceased has specifically mentioned a person authorized to receive rent on his behalf.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2018, 10:55 AM   #3
adjusterjack
Top Level Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THH12 View Post
Indiana

Hello..ok here's my question..my wife,me & our kids have been renting the house we live in for almost 5 years & our landlord just passed. He told us he took his wife off all his properties because she was spending his money on a boyfriend & drugs. and we found out he's well behind on property taxes. Should we pay her rent? he told us Never give her money.
Make your rent checks payable to The Estate of _____________.

That covers you. Make photocopies of the checks before you hand them to her.

If, at some point, she claims ownership of the property, insist that she present you with the deed.

Meantime, check the probate court for your landlord's name and monitor the probate file. It's public record. You'll be able to read the will, if it was filed, and any other filings.
adjusterjack is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-04-2018, 05:31 AM   #4
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by THH12 View Post
Indiana

Normally you need to keep paying just as you were doing until you receive a legal notice providing otherwise. Send the check as you were doing -- payable to him. Do not pay in cash.