•  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Noordhamani
    • Feb 2017
    • India

Copyright an idea on youtube possible?

I have an idea of a series of videos that i can uploaad on youtubr. But i am scared that as soon as i upload it. Im sure other will begin uploading videos just like mine.
    Its only the idea that matters to me. I know they can't re upload my video. But i want to know if i can have a copyright on the idea as well and have control over it as its my own. Any information will be gladly accepted. Thank you.
  • AFFA
    Top Level Member
    ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • Dec 2009

Re: Copyright an idea on youtube possible?

I wish to inform you that idea cannot be copyrighted. Your copyright is of contents thus your video is your copyright. Any use of video without your approval is violation of your rights. However I wish to inform you that idea itself cannot be under copyright.

AFF

Comment

• Lexus
      Top Level Member
      ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
      • Sep 2010
      • United States

You will not get copyright protection for ideas. You can get copyright for your ideas only if it is in a recorded form. So in your case you can avail copyright protection for your work products. It is good to consult with law firms practicing copyrights and patents.

Comment

• LJJ

However, note that a pattern or concept or collection that is unique can be copyrighted, so depending on what the idea is, you MIGHT be able to have some degree of copyright protection.

Comment

• Disagreeable
          Top Level Member
          ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
          • Oct 2012
          • United States

You also then run into an issue of recognition the work across countries. Your best way to do it IMO, is to put out a teaser video, referring viewers to a pay site, where you are marketing your idea formally for sale.
          Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

• Wenton2
            Top Level Member
            ☆☆☆☆☆☆
            • Sep 2016
            • United States

When you get into the gray area regarding copyright law a formal legal opinion is definitely helpful. But by and large if you really do have a unique creative idea And product you will have copyright protection.

Comment

• werfman

Originally posted by Noordhamani
              I have an idea of a series of videos that i can uploaad on youtubr. But i am scared that as soon as i upload it. Im sure other will begin uploading videos just like mine.
              Its only the idea that matters to me. I know they can't re upload my video. But i want to know if i can have a copyright on the idea as well and have control over it as its my own. Any information will be gladly accepted. Thank you.

I faced pretty much the the same recently.

For a modest fee you can have an attorney set up some basic trademark, copyright and/or provisional patent protection.

Or you can just take your chances that your common law rights will protect you once you can prove it is your idea (if somebody tries to steal it). You do have some rights automatically by law.

Comment

It's worth a try

Comment

affa was right--read it

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                  Auto-Saved
                  Smile :) Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Mad :mad: Confused :confused: Frown :( Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:

do blue dogs live on the moon... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...