Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > CRIMINAL LAW, ARRESTS, TRAFFIC TICKETS > Arrests, Searches, Seizures

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2019, 10:54 PM   #1
bluetiger82
bluetiger82's Flag is: United States

Default Beaten and tased by police but not arrested

The incident occurred in Commerce City, CO. I was assaulted by a police officer, and taken to the hospital for taser and baton injuries. I have some minor damage to the ligament in my thumb, extensive bruising and aggravated tendinitis. I was never arrested, no one was, as I didn't do anything illegal, just insulted him. They are refusing to release the incident report to me, or bodycam footage.

No lawyer will take my case because my injuries aren't bad enough and I don't already have the footage (I've called 20 or so). What do I do? Why won't a lawyer take my case if he could get the footage? I only called personal injury and civil rights lawyers.

The fact I wasn't arrested shows I am innocent, even according to the police, so the assault would be by definition excessive force. Is this correct?

I feel like I have to fight this myself. How do I legally petition for the footage? I also have many witnesses who will testify to police brutality. I will give them all complaint forms (the police initially lied to me and told me the forms don't exist when I went into the station, I have them on footage lying).

Thank you for your time.
bluetiger82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 09-09-2019, 09:44 AM   #2
mack10

Default Re: Beaten and tased by police but not arrested

What was actually going on at the time? How did you all come into contact?

I think you also need to speak with criminal law attorneys not just PI lawyers.

If there is a real case a lawyer will take it. You just may need to talk to a few. The local media might also be interested.
And call the ACLU, initially just to discuss the situation. See what they have to say.

Old 09-09-2019, 09:47 AM   #3
mack10

Default Re: Beaten and tased by police but not arrested

If the officer told you to back off, which he can do for security reasons, and you did not, your position could be quite a bit weaker.