USAC Banner 728x90

Collapse

How can my babys father sign his parental rights away?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unregistered

• Lexus
    Top Level Member
    ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • Sep 2010
    • United States

Re: How can my babys father sign his parental rights away?

Parental rights may be terminated either voluntarily or involuntarily. A father's parental rights must always be terminated by a judge. Involuntary termination, a father can sign a paper stating his desire togive up his parental rights. The Court terminates a father's parentalrights involuntarily in case of child abuse. Termination will happen as soon as he gets a court date before a judge. In some cases, a father might continue to be held responsible for supporting his biological child even after he gives up his parental rights.

Comment

• AFFA
      Top Level Member
      ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
      • Dec 2009

I wish to inform you that the laws of the state on the signing away of paternal rights over the child will govern the matter. These laws depend upon the state in which the petition is filed. Generally, the process of a baby's father signing away his paternal rights involves filing a petition to the court. The father will inform the court the reasons why he is signing away the paternal rights. The court will determine all facts including reasons for the father's signing away his paternal right and will then decide the matter. The court will take a decision taking into consideration the best interests of the child. Once the paternal rights have been signed away, the father will not be responsible to pay child support nor will he have any further role in the life of the child.

AFF

Comment

• Unregistered

Funny how so many people think you can just sign your rights away and abandon a child---

Comment

• Unregistered

Originally posted by Unregistered
          unless you have a husband willing to adopt and he agrees. it isnt going to happen. you cant force him to sign his rights away. you cant decide he is good enough to get pregnant by but not good enough to be part of his child's life. if he was that bad you shouldnt have had unprotected sex with him.

Comment

• Unregistered

Nobody can answer this accurately without knowing where the poster is actually located.

Comment

• Unregistered

I really think some people should keep their mouth shut on this subject! I was young when I had my son and have found a wonderful man who treats OUR son like his own!! My child's father is in prison and doesn't want to have anything to do my amazing wonderful son. It's really no ones business why she had unprotected sex with the baby's father, everyone makes mistakes!! My first step would to go to the courthouse and start asking questions there, you will be able to get more accurate answers and not stupid people's opinions! Good Luck

Comment

• Unregistered

unless you have a husband willing to adopt and he agrees. it isnt going to happen. you cant force him to sign his rights away. you cant decide he is good enough to get pregnant by but not good enough to be part of his child's life. if he was that bad you shouldnt have had unprotected sex with him.
                Your a real idiot...do you even have kids? It doesn't seem like it!

Comment

• Unregistered

You are actually an ass. Situations and people change, regardless of length of time. You need real life experience, maybe not watch so much trashy, stereotypical TV?

Comment

• Unregistered

There sure are a lot of defensive people responding to simple truth on here lately. Nerves hit too close I guess.

It really doesn't matter how long or short someone is with a person. There is no excuse for unprotected sex. None. Other than the misfortune of being raped and becoming pregnant as a result, no excuse in the world is justifiable.

Comment

• Unregistered

Wow some people on here have no clue what real life is. First off Mr. No Excuse For Unprotected Sex, Have you ever even had sex? With the statement you made my guess would be no. Besides I do not believe that unprotected sex between husband and wife is wrong. I have a beautiful daughter and I did MAKE her father sign away his rights. He was a good guy right up until the day he decked me in the face, nothing prior even hinted at that ever happening, but he hit me. That was the end of it. Period.

Comment

• Unregistered

Wow some people on here have no clue what real life is. First off Mr. No Excuse For Unprotected Sex, Have you ever even had sex? With the statement you made my guess would be no. Besides I do not believe that unprotected sex between husband and wife is wrong. I have a beautiful daughter and I did MAKE her father sign away his rights. He was a good guy right up until the day he decked me in the face, nothing prior even hinted at that ever happening, but he hit me. That was the end of it. Period.
                        Perhaps if you learned to read and comprehend you'd understand what people communicate a bit better.

Nobody ever inferred that a husband and a wife should not have unprotected sex. HOWEVER, when there is no marriage (and especially when there is no intention of even a future relationship) there is no excuse for unprotected sex.

If you believe people there are no people in the world who can control themselves enough to practice safe sex, you are even more ignorant and naive than you come across in your post.

I highly doubt you "made" him terminate his parental rights. For one thing, only a court has the authority to do that.

Further, just because he hit you (and with your attitude you likely had it coming), doesn't mean he forfeits his parental rights. His relationship with his child is separate from his relationship from you and has absolutely nothing to do with his relations with you.

If he actually did sign off on his rights, and a court did not order it, then you have a null and void document. It is not valid.

Comment

• Unregistered

First, to those who are not and have not been in this situation - please DO NOT judge this person for you have no idea what this battle ensues. I am also in the same predicament. My son's father & I had plans to be married...and then I got pregnant. You would think he would be thrilled right??? He decided we were no longer enough or good enough or whatever it was that he decided and left me when I was 8 weeks pregnant begging me to abort the pregnancy so that he wouldn't be responsible. So please save your hurtful comments about safe sex and mistakes and whatever else because truth be told, you have no idea what happened and that's not why this person is on here asking for help.

That being said, to the question asker: It depends upon the laws which govern your state. They will determine the steps you will have to take for his rights to either be involuntarily/voluntarity revoked. The state of IL requires a step-parent to be in the role to adopt the child involved prior to the revocation taking place. From attorneys I have spoken with, the advice varies - one said the courts frown upon a mother trying to have a father's right involuntarily revoked (whether or not he is a suitable parent is a moot point) and to not pursue it, however, if you feel it is in your child's best interest and safety, is an option - Another suggested that going to the source (father) and asking him to voluntarily give up his rights for adoption might be the best route but to remember he has the option to contest the adoption from the get go. Honestly from my position, it is really what is best for the child and what you and your family are most comfortable with. Regardless it will be a tough battle emotionally. Good luck to you & your family.

Comment

• Unregistered

First, to those who are not and have not been in this situation - please DO NOT judge this person for you have no idea what this battle ensues. I am also in the same predicament. My son's father & I had plans to be married...and then I got pregnant. You would think he would be thrilled right??? He decided we were no longer enough or good enough or whatever it was that he decided and left me when I was 8 weeks pregnant begging me to abort the pregnancy so that he wouldn't be responsible. So please save your hurtful comments about safe sex and mistakes and whatever else because truth be told, you have no idea what happened and that's not why this person is on here asking for help.

That being said, to the question asker: It depends upon the laws which govern your state. They will determine the steps you will have to take for his rights to either be involuntarily/voluntarity revoked. The state of IL requires a step-parent to be in the role to adopt the child involved prior to the revocation taking place. From attorneys I have spoken with, the advice varies - one said the courts frown upon a mother trying to have a father's right involuntarily revoked (whether or not he is a suitable parent is a moot point) and to not pursue it, however, if you feel it is in your child's best interest and safety, is an option - Another suggested that going to the source (father) and asking him to voluntarily give up his rights for adoption might be the best route but to remember he has the option to contest the adoption from the get go. Honestly from my position, it is really what is best for the child and what you and your family are most comfortable with. Regardless it will be a tough battle emotionally. Good luck to you & your family.
                            Sorry but until a wedding actually takes place, both partners are responsible for practicing safe sex so "mistakes" don't happen.

No unwrapping until the wedding decree is in place. Also, if children were not discussed and agreed to, neither party has any business having unprotected sex.

You may call that "judging" but that's only because you're defensive about being in the situation you're in. The fact is, logic prevails.

Comment

• Friend In Court
                              Top Level Member
                              ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
                              • Apr 2011
                              • United States

In order to be allowed to give up one's parental rights as father the court would have to approve it. They will only do so with a suitable replacement in the wings -- e.g., a stepparent adoption. The theory is a child needs two parents and with rights comes responsibility -- the responsibility to support and raise the child. It does not serve the best interest of the child for one of the parents to just walk away and not contribute to supporting the child [child support], nor spend time raising [visitation and access when the parents do not live together].

Common law and laws of civilized countries mandate that once one fathers (or bears) a child they stick around to raise it. If it were so easy to 'give up parental rights' Translation: Duck out of parental responsibility, then every accidental father would easily get off the hook by just signing a piece of paper and walking away.

Courts will approve a voluntary surrender of parental rights (and responsibility) when there is another man willing to raise the child as his own, including all rights including of inheritance. That role is usually filled by a stepparent.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              Smile :) Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Mad :mad: Confused :confused: Frown :( Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:

do blue dogs live on the moon... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...