Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY > Child Custody and Support

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-13-2019, 04:54 PM   #1
rangem
rangem's Flag is: United States

Default Is it possible for child support to be extended

State: Texas

My husband and ex-wife divorced in Tarrant County (TX) in 2005. She moved to Florida in 2007. The decree stayed in Tarrant County. We are wanting to move to Colorado and were told the decree would default to the custodial parent, which is her in Florida. He has paid child support for 14 years and has 3 years left. Would any changes be made to the decree by moving to Florida. She has stated she wants the child support to be extended through college.

Is it possible for child support to be extended without my Husband's approval?
rangem is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 05-13-2019, 07:36 PM   #2
adjusterjack
Top Level Member

Default Re: Is it possible for child support to be extended

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangem View Post

Is it possible for child support to be extended without my Husband's approval?
Sure.

A judge doesn't need your husband's approval to order it. His ex will, of course, have to go to court to get it (if it's not in the decree) and he will, of course, have to go to court to defend against it, wherever that might be.

Though why a father wouldn't contribute voluntarily to the college education of his children is beyond me. It's his responsibility, you know.

Or is it that you see an additional 4 years of money going out the window that could be better spent on you? That's usually why second wives post this kind of question on legal websites. You're not the first, certainly won't be the last.
adjusterjack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2019, 11:16 PM   #3
goddessoflubboc
Top Level Member

Default Re: Is it possible for child support to be extended

Child support orders can be moved. They can also be modified. Once Florida accepts jurisdiction for the order it can be modified. As stated it’s up to the judge, although also state laws vary so that may have an impact.

Before it’s moved I’d suggest getting a payment history.
goddessoflubboc is offline   Reply With Quote