Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > IMMIGRATION LAW > Family-Sponsored Visas

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-19-2017, 06:20 AM   #1
Jamie J
Jamie J's Flag is: United States

Default Grandchildren and US immigration

Do grandchildren --age 12 and 13-- of a US citizen have any special rights to immigrate to the USA?
They currently live in Europe and were born in Europe as well.
Only one parent is a US citizen, the father. And he has basically left them and abandoned the family.

Currently the kids don't want to come to the US but I am just curious if they could if they changed their mind.
Jamie J is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 07-19-2017, 05:48 PM   #2
AFFA
Top Level Member

Default Re: Grandchildren and US immigration

I wish to inform you that you may not directly sponsor your grandchildren to USA. Generally only your US citizen child may sponsor them under family category immigration of US. Family definition of USCIS only include spouse, siblings, children or parents. Grandparent may not thus sponsor.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2017, 06:10 AM   #3
Wenton2
Top Level Member
Wenton2's Flag is: United States

You could of course ask your presumably US son to do the immigration process, even if you actually do all the work and pay all the fees.
If you are still in communication with him.
Wenton2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2017, 07:43 AM   #4
Lexus
Top Level Member

In this case father of the child can only sponsor the children from other country. The law is looking forward for the safety of the children, so none other than father or mother can sponsor child for migration.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2017, 05:23 AM   #5
Unregistered

Yes, as it was already mentioned above, only the father can sponsor your grandchildren from Europe. But if I were you, I would take a consultation from an immigration lawyer to search for any legal solutions to your issue. However, I urge you to beware of scammers, as now there are a lot of immigration consultants preying on those who seek to obtain an immigrant status for themselves or their loved ones. And if you are from New York and are in doubt about whether the way you’re going to sponsor you grandkids is legitimate, I can recommend you a great immigration fraud lawyer: https://www.nycriminallawyers.com/pr...fraud-lawyers/. Good luck!