Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > LABOR and EMPLOYMENT LAW > Hiring, Firing, Wrongful Termination

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 08:30 PM   #1
amandaevans1981

Default missing work because of bed bugs

I work at a residential home for children with behavior disabilities. About a month ago staff started complaining of red bumps that looked like bug bites. Management dismissed the complaints as flea bites. More and more staff and then clients started to get biten. One of the clients found an infestation of bugs in a couch on the unit. Staff dragged the couch outside of the unit to prevent further infestation and then called management to ket them know that we were certain they were bed bugs. Management advised us that they couldnt have a couch outside zo we woukd have to bring it back in. So we brought it back in. The units were inspected today and they confirmed that there is a bed bug infestation. Management informed us that they will not be exterminating until next week and said that we should just bring a change of clothes for when we leave to go home. My first question is.. if we do not go into work for fear of being biten by bed bugs and bringing them home can we be fired? My second question is.. if we have bed bugs in our homes now could my employer be held responsible for the cost of exterminating the infested homes? Thank you for any and all advice.
amandaevans1981 is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 01-07-2013, 09:55 PM   #2
AFFA
Top Level Member

Default re: missing work because of bed bugs

I wish to inform you that your employer can terminate you at any time. In this regard there is generally employment at will concept under which an employee can be terminated at any time. If your home is having bed bugs then you may not seek compensation unless you are able to show that your employment is responsible for bed bugs at home.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2013, 10:43 PM   #3
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFFA View Post
I wish to inform you that your employer can terminate you at any time. In this regard there is generally employment at will concept under which an employee can be terminated at any time. If your home is having bed bugs then you may not seek compensation unless you are able to show that your employment is responsible for bed bugs at home.

AFF
But aren't they required to provide a safe non hazardous work environment?

Old 01-07-2013, 10:45 PM   #4
Disagreeable
Top Level Member
Disagreeable's Flag is: United States

Bed bugs will not kill you.
Disagreeable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2013, 11:59 PM   #5
Lexus
Top Level Member

Your employer has a duty to provide you with a comfortable working environment. Employers must take care to maintain their workplace in a reasonably safe condition. This would include an environment free of health concerns and exposure to illnesses. You can file a suit against the employer if you contact a bedbug infestation from the workplace. In most cases, the bites are merely an annoyance, but some employees may develop severe allergic reactions and skin infections. These reactions may qualify them for worker’s compensation benefits. Moreover, if your employer knows about a bedbug infestation and does nothing to resolve it, then they may be liable for damages sustained from the infestation. Even though it’s a big concern with them at work, the bigger concern is bringing them home. So, check and clean everything when you return from work. Additionally, if you are able to show that the presence of bedbug at home could only have come from your workplace, then you could also seek damages for the same.
It is always advisable to seek the assistance of an attorney who can help answer any questions you may have.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2013, 02:07 AM   #6
goddessoflubboc
Top Level Member

Default Re: missing work because of bed bugs

There is no way to know where they came from. It's a residential facility so it's actually more likely that a member of staff brought them in.
goddessoflubboc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2013, 11:46 AM   #7
Unregistered

What a job that has bed bugs to the point that you can them on u staff and clients are being bitten a staff broke out from it and bought it home can u hold your job realible

Old 01-23-2013, 11:58 AM   #8
Friend In Court
Top Level Member
Friend In Court's Flag is: United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaevans1981 View Post
I work at a residential home for children with behavior disabilities. About a month ago staff started complaining of red bumps that looked like bug bites. Management dismissed the complaints as flea bites. More and more staff and then clients started to get biten. One of the clients found an infestation of bugs in a couch on the unit. Staff dragged the couch outside of the unit to prevent further infestation and then called management to ket them know that we were certain they were bed bugs. Management advised us that they couldnt have a couch outside zo we woukd have to bring it back in. So we brought it back in. The units were inspected today and they confirmed that there is a bed bug infestation. Management informed us that they will not be exterminating until next week and said that we should just bring a change of clothes for when we leave to go home. My first question is.. if we do not go into work for fear of being biten by bed bugs and bringing them home can we be fired? My second question is.. if we have bed bugs in our homes now could my employer be held responsible for the cost of exterminating the infested homes? Thank you for any and all advice.
Yes, bed bugs latch onto clothing, can be transported to your home -- to car seats, bus seats -- anyplace those critters can think of.

The couch should not just have been taken outside and left there, but put with the garbage to be taken away. If management had been bitten, their response might be more responsive and vigorous to get rid of the pests. Should the health department inspect and find these bugs,"next week" is not soon enough. Public housing facilities have been evacuated for bed bug infestation with the residents being put up at hotels -- and at public expense. And this is a residential home for children? With lots of bedding, woodwork,picture frames for these pests to infect. If it were me, I'd call the health department. For finding bedbugs in a couch means they are probably elsewhere throughout at least the floor on which they were found.

The bites are irritating but these insects are not known to carry disease. What you can do in the interim while awaiting the fumigation -- and the entire floor does need to be fumigated -- is get a can of pesticide guaranteed to kill bed bugs. And thoroughly spray the couch, every crack and crevice -- and insist no one sit there. And change your clothes before going home.
Friend In Court is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2013, 01:18 PM   #9
Disagreeable
Top Level Member
Disagreeable's Flag is: United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
What a job that has bed bugs to the point that you can them on u staff and clients are being bitten a staff broke out from it and bought it home can u hold your job realible
You cannot prove they came from your job.
Disagreeable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2013, 07:14 PM   #10
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disagreeable View Post
You cannot prove they came from your job.
There is an infestation at my job and they had an exterminator come out and they were informed of it and that the entire house has to be done and they only authorized one bedroom of a three bdrm house that has three mentally challenged adults.