X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • where do i turn
    • Dec 2011

Birth Certificate insufficient for US Passport

I was born on a US military base in Nurenberg, Bavaria Germany in 1972 since my father was in the US Army. The birth certificate that I have ,which was issued by the Department of State, has a title of "Certificate of child born abroad to American parents" or form AE-360. I have lived in Michigan since I was a month old and until recently have had no issues. I have a voters registration card, social security card, drivers and marriage licenses which I have obtained using the birth certificate (form AE-360) that I have. I recently applied for an expedited US passport and have been told by the United States Department of State National Passport Agency that according to them, I am not a United States citizen. Really???? Then how do I have all of these other documents that say I am? I pay my taxes, social security and have since I started working.
    They tell me that my parents (who are both US citizens, born in Michigan) were supposed to register me with the state when we returned home. They were never told anything of the sort! So now, 40 years later, I cannot get a United States passport. The passport agency sent me a letter with several options (all costing more money and having the possibility of not being able to help me). One option was to obtain a copy of the passport that i was issued at birth to return home to the States. I was told that there was some kind of fire at the vital records department in the early 1980's and that there may be no record of my previous passport, so i am hesitant to spend more money with no guarantee of success! I am just frustrated and confused beyond belief and I am hoping that somebody has some suggestions on what I can do next to guarantee that I can receive my Certificate of Citizenship and obtain my US Passport. Any suggestions would be appreciated....thank you!!
  • AFFA
    Top Level Member
    ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • Dec 2009

Re: Birth Certificate insufficient for US Passport

I wish to inform you that a child born overseas is granted citizenship automatically if the parents of the child are both US citizens. Further, the parents should have been married and at least one of the two parents should have lived in the United States prior to the birth of the child. The governing provisions of law are stated in INA 301(c) and INA 301(a)(3). The proof of birth as recorded in the US embassy in Germany is sufficient for proof of citizenship of the child. By applying for a passport, the citizenship is recognized. You may approach the Regional Passport Office through email or tel. for further guidance in the matter.

AFF

Comment

• where do i turn
      • Dec 2011

Thank you very much for your input! To my knowledge, from what my parents told me, I was never registered in Germany either. But I will call the Passport agency and see what they say. Thank you for taking the time to try and help me....I'm at my wits end!

Comment

• sharlacr
        • Mar 2012

I was born in Nurenberg in 1972 also. My dad was also stationed there. I recently had to get a passport. I have a birth record from the US consulate in Germany. I am able to use this through the US Dept of State to get my passport. You are a US citizen born to US citizens abroad. There is a link on the State Dept website. If one of your parents was military, the unit he or she was in would have helped to take care of all of this. You won't ever have a birth certificate in English. Ha ha! I have my German birth certificate from the Army Hospital (all in German) and I have my record of birth abroad. my email is [email protected] if you have any questions. It's a pain in the butt ..... it takes forever.....I once let my drivers' license expire carelessly and it was hell getting it renewed with all the new laws. I am not sure if immigration dept will be helpful since you are not an immigrant or naturalized US citizen.
        Do people ask you all the time if you know any German? lol We came back to the states when i was three. I don't remember any German. I took German in high school but didn't seem to have any secret advantages. Good luck!

Comment

• Unregistered

I too have this same issue as of today. I was born in Germany on a US Army base in 1970. I have the "report of child born abroad of american parents" form which has all the info needed in english. I moved to AZ from IL and tried to get a new license today but was told that "form" was not good enough. I had NO problems getting my DL, SS or marriage license in Illinois. I was told to search the web to find out how to get the birth certificate. I called the passport # in Washington and got a voice mail. Wondering if they will call me back and will I have to pay the 50.00 to get the Consular report of birth? After reading what the other person wrote, I sure hope by mom did the right stuff after I was born or this is going to be a HUGE mess.

Comment

• Unregistered

I know this is some time after your original post but I hope this will help. The AE 360 form is issued by the United States Army as you were more than likely born in an Army Hospital in Germany. This is not the same as the Consular Report of Birth Abroad (FS-240) which is issued by the Department of State. This 240 form which someone mentioned on this thread would have been obtained after your parents (at least one) recorded your birth at the United States Consullate in Germany while they were there. Once registered there, it is transferred to the United States so it is held within the Department of State as proof of your citizenship. If your parents did not register your birth there, the other way to have obtained your citizenship upon re-entry to the United States is to have obtained a Certificate of Citizenship (form N-560) which is issued by the Immigration and Naturalization Services which was/is under the Department of Justice. A few people who were born outside the United States are also considered U.S. citizens since one or both of their parents are U.S. citizens (either native-born or naturalized). Such people will not have a U.S. birth certificate, however. In some cases, their parents may have gone to a U.S. consulate in the country where they were staying and obtained confirmation of their birth and U.S. citizenship, but not always. So, in order to prove their U.S. citizenship, such people can file for a Certificate of Citizenship which is from the INS.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• Lexus
              Top Level Member
              ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
              • Sep 2010
              • United States

You must reapply. If you think there may have been an error in processing your original application, take care to check over everything in your application when you reapply. Gather your personal identification information that proves your citizenship. Produce your consular report of birth abroad. In addition, you must provide government-issued photo identification. Turn in your application, photos and identification to a passport office or an acceptance agent office. You must submit your information in person NOT by mail. If your application is accepted this time, you will be able to pick up your passport in 10 weeks.

Comment

• where do i turn
                • Dec 2011

Thank you for your response! Let's hope this works...LOL I'll post the results....

Comment

• where do i turn
                  • Dec 2011

I hope that you're able to get your issue resolved! After months of frustrations, I've decided to begin trying to get this worked out again myself...I wish us both luck!!

Comment

• SmilnAtYa2
                    • Oct 2012

I am in a very similar situation as all of you. The difference is I was born in 1963. I have Citizenship and Naturalization papers. The consulate in Germany has no record of my birth. My father was in the Army and I have been told that all his records were destroyed in the fire they had in St. Louis, Mo years ago.

My parents said they had to wait until I was 4 years old to become a citizen. That was so I could say the pledge of allegiance. My picture on my papers is of me when I was 4 years old. I was told a few years ago by INS that all I could be was an international adoption. I have confronted my parents several times over the last 20 years. All I got was laughed at and denial that I was adopted. My mother is the only one who really knew what happened, and she passed earlier this year. My dad has always thought I could just go to the local Health Dept. and get a copy of my birth certificate. I was always told I could never be president and other various things since I had been born in Germany.

I have a SS card, drivers license and have only had a few problems. I am wanting to apply for a passport and find out if I ever had one. I am understanding that I must have had one when they brought me from Germany.

I am trying to find out more info since I have some medical problems and the doctors are asking about my family history. My parents and my brother are diabetics and I have never been. They keep telling me I will be , but not if my parents are not my birth parents. INS opened my file and were very surprised to only find copies of the papers I already had. They said there should have been so much more since my dad was in the military.

The main question I have is, why did they have to wait till I was 4 years old if I had at least one parent that was an American citizen. Needless to say I am very confused and do not really have the extra funds right now to do proper inquiries.

I am glad to finally find people in my similar situation. If anyone has more info or suggestions I would really appreciate a response.

My email is: [email protected]
                    Feel free to contact me anytime. I wish you all the best of luck!! I will repost as I get good info for you all that might be helpful.

Thanks

Comment

• Mhall926
                      • Nov 2015

I was also born in Heidelberg Germany in 1965 my dad was army. My mom left Germany with me when I was 3 Mos old. She did not register me with the consulate as I tried to recover a copy of my american birth certificate but they can't find a record of me. She says she still has a copy of my German certificate and I used to have an american one but she doesn't remember where she got it from. I have a ss card and a license from idaho. I now live in missouri but can't get a new license down here without a copy of my birth certificate. Help

Comment

• LesterD

I am in a similar situation but even a little more complicated.
                        What is the answer these days if you can't get the birth certificate.
                        What's the alternative?

Comment

• WHAT AM I?

I have a similar problem, but the US State Dept. stopped helping me and will no longer return my callsor letters.

When I was born in Germany in 1963, instead of being born in the Army Hospital, my dad drove my mother off the Army base so that I could be born on German soil and acquire dual citizenship.

However, I discovered in 2012 that my father's commanding officer issued birth records that have several fatal flaws. The AE-360 (Report of Child Born Abroad of American Parents) and the FS-240 (Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America) both falsely state that my Place of Birth was the Army Hospital on base, not on German soil. Furthermore, my Full Name is spelled differently on these two documents, and both of those are different that the Full Name on the German Birth Certificate! It appears that I was never properly naturalized as a "US Citizen"!! WHO AM I???

Now that I am aware of these fatal flaws on the AE-360 and FS-240, any further attempt to assert US Citizenship or citizen benefits and privileges thereof would be considered FRAUD, absent a waver from the DHS and Attorney General. Continuing to use those flawed birth records to assert citizenship, or any government IDs or SS accounts issued based on these flawed documents, constitutes material and willful misrepresentation and fraud, subjecting me to serious legal penalties.

But....WHAT AM I? RIGHT NOW?
                          WHAT IS MY LEGAL STATUS WITHOUT VALID DOCUMENTATION?
                          If I was busted for wrongfully asserting US citizenship, where would they deport me????

SIDENOTE: Since I did not participate in German military service at the age of 18, I no longer have a claim to German citizenship either. Unlike US citizenship (which is acquired by proper "naturalization" - an operation of law - to acquire membership of the US municipal corporation), I cannot lose my Nationality (which I acquire by birthright through my parents bloodline). I think I like being a National instead....

OK, after numerous calls to the US State Dept. says these document flaws can be corrected easily to become a US Citizen, but what if I choose not to correct these invalid documents and choose to be merely a National instead? You see, the law says that once reaching the age of maturity, the choice to become a citizen is now mine alone... So what if a National can't hold office or vote. Maybe there are some other differences I don't know about. Maybe there are some benefits as a National not available to US Citizens!

So here is my question....
                          If I don't choose to correct the inivalid documents and not accept US Citizenship, how do I go about replacing my invalid IDs and accounts and replace them with the appropriate IDs (passports, etc.) for my status as a National?

Comment

• danieljones
                            • Oct 2019
                            • United States

You need to check each and every document in your application and reapply. Try to gather all the personal identification documents proving your US citizenship and also include the documents that prove your birth abroad. Also, include government-issued photo identification proof. Contact the passport office and reapply.

Comment

• Unregistered

I know this is several years later but I had some information to add.

Since you were born in Germany and grew up in the US, you presumably had to have a passport issued to you before you left Germany.

If it was a US passport (and if you can find it) you can see if the State Department can use that to look at what paperwork was submitted by your parents after you were born.

If they are unwilling to help, I would recommend you find out who your US Congressperson and US Senator are (not State, US) and contact their constituent services office. When a Senator's office calls the the US State Department to ask why they're not doing their job, things tend to start happening.

Most Congresspeople love to help their constituents in this way as it is very good PR for them.

Good luck!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              Smile :) Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Mad :mad: Confused :confused: Frown :( Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:

the color of a blueberry is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...