•  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nape 3889
    • Oct 2018
    • United States

Lawyers and ethics agreements

Do lawyers have to sign any kind of ethics documents when they are admitted to practice and if so is it a contract or agreement that they can e.g. be sued on?
    Are there optional ethics agreements if not mandatory ones?

Thank you.
  • AFFA
    Top Level Member
    ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • Dec 2009

Re: Lawyers and ethics agreements

I wish to inform you that a lawyer as a professional is having duty towards his client while dealing matter of his client and may therefore be liable if he violates those duties. Every bar association generally have some code of conduct for his attorney and Bar Association may take action if attorney violates those code of conduct. As a client you may file a case for negligence or professional misconduct against an attorney and may seek compensation.

AFF

Comment

• Highwayman
      Top Level Member
      ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Nape 3889
      Do lawyers have to sign any kind of ethics documents when they are admitted to practice...
      NO.

Of course, you didn't mention your state.

Comment

• Jonmorgan
        • May 2019
        • United States

This is actually not done!. You should complaint against them to the higher attorneys. But this you can only do when, you have any legal documents or proof where they have agreed to the taking Old charges from you, because without any legal document proof you can't prove them wrong with just a mouth statement. I would like to suggest you all, to, always have a document as a proof of agreement with lawyers. Last year when my dad wanted to do the wills and estate planning NJ. After they had a meeting, my dad submitted all the legal documents and, got the agreement proof from lawyers.

Comment

• Highwayman
          Top Level Member
          ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Jonmorgan
          This is actually not done!. You should complaint against them to the higher attorneys. But this you can only do when, you have any legal documents or proof where they have agreed to the taking Old charges from you, because without any legal document proof you can't prove them wrong with just a mouth statement. I would like to suggest you all, to, always have a document as a proof of agreement with lawyers. Last year when my dad wanted to do the wills and estate planning NJ. After they had a meeting, my dad submitted all the legal documents and, got the agreement proof from lawyers.
          What on Earth are you babbling about?

Comment

• Lexus
            Top Level Member
            ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
            • Sep 2010
            • United States

Attorneys take the following oath when they enter into legal practice.

"I, ___________ do solemnly swear that I will support the Constitutions of the United States, and of this state; that I will honestly demean myself in the practice of law; that I will discharge my duties to my clients to the best of my ability; and that I will conduct myself with integrity and civility in dealing and communicating with the court and all parties. So help me God."

The American Bar Association’s Model Rules of Professional Conduct states that a lawyer “shall not knowingly make a false statement of material fact.” In other words, lawyers aren’t supposed to lie--and they can be disciplined or even disbarred for doing so. But notice, the key word here is “knowingly.” A lawyer cannot “knowingly” lie.

Comment

• new2legal
              • Oct 2019
              • United States

Hello, everyone

I am totally new to legal forums and I have never had a lawyer my entire life until now. I am looking for an advice that can help me solve some ethical issue between me and my lawyer or at least I think it might be ethical. I am not sure if I am in the right forum for this. If not, please let me know where to post my thread. Thank you.

Comment

• Mack10

Correct area, but best to start a new thread/discussion not add to an older one already existing.

Comment

• new2legal
                  • Oct 2019
                  • United States

Originally posted by Mack10
                  Correct area, but best to start a new thread/discussion not add to an older one already existing.
                  Sorry, I didn't see Post New Thread. How do I do it?

Comment

• PASSFOUR
                    • Oct 2019
                    • United States

Just go to the home page, click on a forum area that applies to your matter, and then click NEW THREAD

That will start your discussion/thread.

Comment

every new lawyer that becomes licensed does take that license subject to the bar rules and regulations in that state. And those rules have very highly detailed ethics obligations.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                      Auto-Saved
                      Smile :) Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Mad :mad: Confused :confused: Frown :( Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:

Do cats say meow or mooo?... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...