Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > CRIMINAL LAW, ARRESTS, TRAFFIC TICKETS > Arrests, Searches, Seizures

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-27-2019, 10:41 PM   #1
jamaguire
jamaguire's Flag is: United States

Default Warrants, validity thereof

I'm at home.
There's a knock at the door.
I answer it and discover some men (maybe uniformed police officers, maybe guys in suit & tie who claim to be detectives with nothing more than shiny metal badges to back up that claim).
They say they want to search my home, and that they have a warrant to do so.

How do I know what a valid search warrant (in my state, county, city) looks like?

How do I verify that the name & signature of the "judge" that issued the warrant is a real judge? Do all judges have the authority to issue warrants? Or might that be the privilege of just some select few judges?
jamaguire is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 11-28-2019, 12:24 AM   #2
Lexus
Top Level Member

Default Re: Warrants, validity thereof

In most cases, the police needs to get a valid search warrant before they can conduct a search of your home. Its very hard for a common man to verify the veracity of a warrant. A warrant must include a magistrate's signature & seal, a description of the place to be searched, and a description of the items to be seized. It will have the date and time of issuance because a warrant must be executed within two days from the date of issuance. Also, remember that police don't always need a warrant to conduct a search.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2019, 01:11 PM   #3
AFFA
Top Level Member

Default Re: Warrants, validity thereof

I wish to inform you that if you challenge police over a questionable search warrant you can potentially be arrested for resisting a search although you can always file a claim afterwards alleging a violation of your rights.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote