Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > BUSINESS and FINANCE LAW > Other Business and Finance Law Issues > Tax Issues

Register FAQ Tags Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2015, 06:57 PM   #11
myway

Default Re: double taxation online

Thanks FIC, I will do as you advised me. I agree that email would be unreliable in such situations.

Anyway, I'd still like to know whether it is possible for a person who is not a US citizen or resident to make a claim that their business is effectively connected with the conduct of a trade or business in the United States, as it appears the tax rate in that case would be more favorable for them than the dreaded 30% flat rate if the income were deemed FDAP, either by IRS or by the payer.
myway is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 07-11-2015, 10:23 AM   #12
Friend In Court
Top Level Member
Friend In Court's Flag is: United States

Default Re: double taxation online

Quote:
Originally Posted by myway View Post
Thanks FIC, I will do as you advised me. I agree that email would be unreliable in such situations.

Anyway, I'd still like to know whether it is possible for a person who is not a US citizen or resident to make a claim that their business is effectively connected with the conduct of a trade or business in the United States, as it appears the tax rate in that case would be more favorable for them than the dreaded 30% flat rate if the income were deemed FDAP, either by IRS or by the payer.
You STILL will need a definitive answer from the IRS for anything anyone else tells you is subject to THEIR interpretation of "doing business" in the U.S. So get your opinion letter directly from the IRS for it will save you a lot of angst and perhaps eventual penalties and fines in addition to delinquent taxes you might have to pay.

I would add that there is a charge for an opinion letter but it should be considerably less than what you would pay a private lawyer for an opinion.
Friend In Court is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No