Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > BUSINESS and FINANCE LAW > Other Business and Finance Law Issues > Tax Issues

Register FAQ Tags Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-29-2015, 06:39 PM   #1
Butterscotch

Default Cigarettes purchased in NY from Indian reservation

I received a tax bill for over 200 dollars from NYS for cigarettes I purchased back in 2008. I purchased them from an Indian reservation in NY and am also a NY resident. I thought that Native Americans were exempt from taxation on cigarettes that they sell to NY residents. The company was CD2U. Can anyone provide any input on this?
Butterscotch is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 07-30-2015, 02:50 AM   #2
AFFA
Top Level Member

Default Re: Cigarettes purchased in NY from Indian reservation

I wish to inform you that as per N.Y. TAX. LAW ยง 471-e all cigarettes sold on an Indian reservation to non-members of the nation or tribe or to non-Indians shall be taxed, and evidence of such tax will be by means of an affixed cigarette tax stamp. Hence if you have purchased cigrettee which is not taxed then government may demand tax.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No