Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > BUSINESS and FINANCE LAW > Other Business and Finance Law Issues > Tax Issues

Register FAQ Tags Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2015, 05:01 PM   #1
nurse

Default My money... help me understand this legal theft!

My husband and I have been married for 2 years. He has 2 children that he is currently paying child support. However, when he was behind, interest accrued, which he is paying on as well. He had no reportable income this past year. Our income was all mine that I worked hard for and my bank account paid his child support. How is it okay for child support services to take ALL of MY state income tax return, $424.00, for his child support interest when not one red cent of it was earned by him? Someone please help me understand this legal theft!
nurse is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 04-06-2015, 11:46 PM   #2
Disagreeable
Top Level Member
Disagreeable's Flag is: United States

Default Re: My money... help me understand this legal theft!

You could file a form for injured spouse and get 1/2 of the return or you could file separately. Just because he is not working does not mean his children could be turned off and require no food, clothing, shelter etc... I suggest he get a job at a fast food restaurant to feed his kids.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.
Disagreeable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2015, 12:10 PM   #3
Friend In Court
Top Level Member
Friend In Court's Flag is: United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurse View Post
My husband and I have been married for 2 years. He has 2 children that he is currently paying child support. However, when he was behind, interest accrued, which he is paying on as well. He had no reportable income this past year. Our income was all mine that I worked hard for and my bank account paid his child support. How is it okay for child support services to take ALL of MY state income tax return, $424.00, for his child support interest when not one red cent of it was earned by him? Someone please help me understand this legal theft!
In what state do you reside? Is it a community property state? That makes a difference for in community property states each spouse has an undivided interest in the other spouse's property, which includes income.

There are spouses who have obtained a decree of legal separation just for circumstances like yours so they remain married, but no longer are their assets joint and indivisible because they are in a community property state -- and one of the spouses has debts for which they could attach the other spouse's income and assets.

So, if you are in a community property state, attaching your income or tax refund for your spouse's debt is legal.
Friend In Court is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2015, 03:40 PM   #4
AFFA
Top Level Member

I wish to inform you that you may claim the money from the biological father of the child under common law.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote