Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > BUSINESS and FINANCE LAW > Business Contracts and Partnerships

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2019, 02:48 AM   #1
hanatee
hanatee's Flag is: United States

Default Oral agreement regarding purchase of car

TX

Hi! I bought a car from a lady whom offered me the car knowing that it was my intention to by a car. I told her how much i had and she offered me the car at that amount, 2500 dollars.

Our agreement was never put on paper though. she soon afterwards raised her price to 3500 using the "book value method" which i did not agree with, but we came to an agreement that i will buy the car even though she took the amount that we agreed to initially and she new that i had problems financially -- she still agreed to let me have the car and agreed that i would sort my finances out then pay her back with installments.

Now she threatens to get her car back using sherrifs and lawyers because she knows i cant afford them. please advise!!
hanatee is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 08-07-2019, 06:51 AM   #2
AFFA
Top Level Member

Default Re: Oral agreement regarding purchase of car

I wish to inform you that you may contest the matter on the ground that initial agreement was of $2,500. You may argue that a contract is binding upon party when an offer is accepted. There was an offer to buy car at $2,500 which was accepted by other party and hence a valid and binding contract has been created. When other party intended to modify contract at that time there was no agreement as to new price thus agreement was never modified as to new price. You may therefore seek ownership of car as per agreement.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2019, 08:30 AM   #3
Lexus
Top Level Member

Do you have any witness for the transaction? As there is no written agreement a witness statement may help in contesting the oral agreement.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2019, 04:30 PM   #4
Unregistered

I thought there was some rule about over 500 dollars being required to be in writing?

Old 08-07-2019, 04:31 PM   #5
Unregistered

Although even if true partial performance can make it all binding!