Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > REAL ESTATE and PROPERTY LAW > Landlord vs Tenant Issues

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-15-2013, 03:35 PM   #1
Marina Lynne

Unhappy If she sees my cats outside she'll charge me $25... Can she do that?

My landlord told me today that if she sees my cats outside, she'll charge me $25 each time. It doesn't say anything in my lease about cats, only dogs. And there is no ordinance for my county. Is this legal? My cats are harmless. They stay in my yard, they're declawed and have their shots, and come inside quite frequently. I don't know what to do she cant strip me of my rights if it isn't in my lease, right? Not to mention that this landlord hasn't been here the whole time ive lived here. And the one before didn't mind my cats being outside. And yet every other tenants lets their 20+ cats out and leaves them out. It isn't fair.
Marina Lynne is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 11-15-2013, 03:42 PM   #2
Disagreeable
Top Level Member
Disagreeable's Flag is: United States

Default re: If she sees my cats outside she'll charge me $25... Can she do that?

If they are not licensed and vaccinated, you could run into problems. We are not privy to your lease or location.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.
Disagreeable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2013, 03:45 PM   #3
Marina Lynne

Default re: If she sees my cats outside she'll charge me $25... Can she do that?

License as in a collar with a tag? And they are up to date with their shots. And declawed. Plus, they are skiddish around other people, so they would never attack them.

Old 11-15-2013, 03:48 PM   #4
Disagreeable
Top Level Member

Yes as in collar, tag and rabies shots. As in taken by animal control as strays. Location???

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Old 11-15-2013, 03:49 PM   #5
Marina Lynne

Ohh that makes sense and I live in Warsaw, Kentucky.

Old 11-15-2013, 04:04 PM   #6
Disagreeable
Top Level Member

It appears you are in violation of KRS 258.015 requiring a rabies shot and Warsaw city ordinance 90.02

§ 90.02 ANIMALS RUNNING AT LARGE. (A) No person who is the owner of any animal shall permit it to run at large in any public road, highway, street, lane, or alley, or upon unenclosed land, or permit it to go on any private yard, lot, or enclosure without the consent of the owner of the yard, lot, or enclosure.

(B) The owner of an animal who permits it to run at large in violation of this section is liable for all damages caused by such animal upon the premises of another. Dogs or cats which are not being held securely on a leash, and which are on any street, alley, or sidewalk, or on any other public place or on private property without the consent of the private property owner are considered to be running at large, and as such, a public nuisance.

(Ord. 2002-0006, passed 8-12-02) Penalty, see § 90.99

http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/Kentucky/warsaw_ky/cityofwarsawkentuckycodeofordinances?f=templates$f n=default.htm$3.0$vid=amlegal:warsaw_ky

Old 11-15-2013, 09:26 PM   #7
gail in georgia
Top Level Member

Default Re: If she sees my cats outside she'll charge me $25... Can she do that?

Many counties do have lease laws and these include more than dogs. If your cat is reported, who do you think will be charged these fees? Your landlord who will, in turn, charge you.

In addition please think twice about leaving declawed cats outside. They have absolutely no protection should a stray dog go after them. Both my cats have their back claws with front claws removed and I won't allow either one of them outside.

Gail
gail in georgia is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2013, 02:07 PM   #8
Friend In Court
Top Level Member
Friend In Court's Flag is: United States

Default Re: If she sees my cats outside she'll charge me $25... Can she do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina Lynne View Post
My landlord told me today that if she sees my cats outside, she'll charge me $25 each time. It doesn't say anything in my lease about cats, only dogs. And there is no ordinance for my county. Is this legal? My cats are harmless. They stay in my yard, they're declawed and have their shots, and come inside quite frequently. I don't know what to do she cant strip me of my rights if it isn't in my lease, right? Not to mention that this landlord hasn't been here the whole time ive lived here. And the one before didn't mind my cats being outside. And yet every other tenants lets their 20+ cats out and leaves them out. It isn't fair.
The landlord cannot charge you any fines that are not specifically set out in the lease and agreed to. She can allege they create a nuisance, dig in flower beds, create noise or damage and can then require you to get rid of them. If they are not in the lease, you have no protection.

Since there are other tenants with cats that she does not mind being out in the yard, why not ask her directly exactly what the problem is? If you can get to the root of her displeasure, then you know how to try to work out a compromise. It could be that this new owner does not want 20+ cats in the building and if she had her way would rid the complex of all of them, yours included. They could be doing damage. She could just hate cats. Or have another problem with you and this is just her way of taking it out on you. It's time for a direct, heart to heart talk with her if you want to remain there, you and your cats, in peace.

By the way, with 20+ cats on the property, your cats are far safer remaining inside than being out in the yard with them. By keeping them inside you are keeping them safe from cat fights, diseases and they will be much healthier in the long run.
Friend In Court is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2013, 05:17 AM   #9
Unregistered

Why don't you just keep them in the house?

Do you watch them every single moment, and do you know 100% for sure that they don't go next door and make their stinky horrid cr@ps in someone else's yard?

How do you know that the other tenants with cats aren't subject to the same thing?

If your cats are declawed, and they come inside frequently, keep them inside and provide a nice window for them, and kitty toys as well as a litter box so they don't use other people's yards as their litter box. That's just being a good, responsible cat owner.