•  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TAPPS2
    • Aug 2019
    • United States

Five days of no air conditioning from landlord in Florida

How many days of no air conditioning do I have to endure before I can legally refuse to pay rent or can go to a hotel and be compensated, or sue the landlord or something?

This is now the 5th day and in Florida it is not possible to be here.

It's just a window unit, though it is in a way built into the window itself, the landlord could even just buy a new AC.

I would even do it myself but the lease prohibits that kind of change by the tenant.
  • adjusterjack
    Top Level Member
    ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • May 2016

Re: Five days of no air conditioning from landlord in Florida

When did you report it? Did you do it in writing? What discussions have you had with the landlord? What's his excuse?

5 days is way too long for a window unit to be replaced.

Florida's repair and deduct statute is 83.60.

Note the proper notice requirements before you can go out and buy one and withhold rent.

And forget being compensated for a motel. That's not going to happen because your remedy is specific and trumps your lease prohibition.

Comment

• smayazTransact
      • Jan 2020
      • United States

Its sad ,you should complain them and pressurize them to fix the AC in your house.

Comment

• adjusterjack
        Top Level Member
        ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
        • May 2016

Originally posted by smayazTransact
        Its sad ,you should complain them and pressurize them to fix the AC in your house.
        It's January, dum dum, it's probably been fixed by now.

Sigh.

Comment

• Lexus
          Top Level Member
          ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
          • Sep 2010
          • United States

There is no statutory duty to provide A/C, and unless a landlord has contractually guaranteed in the lease that the A/C would be operational 24/7, tenant has no claim and cannot withhold rent based on these facts. The tenant needs to give landlord, a 7-day notice before the tenant can withhold rent or even terminate the lease without penalty.

Comment

• MariaKnightw
            • Dec 2021
            • United States

Hello, TAPPS2! Well, the first thing you need to do is approach the landholder about this problem. If you already approached and it was no actions taken from his side, you can sue him, or the best way you can do it is to call the clearwater air conditioning repair company and go to court with their repairing bill and sue even for more money. I recommend you find a good attorney and proceed with all action against the owner. I wish you good luck, and if you need any suggestions, feel free to send a private message to me.

Comment

• myaprocinar986
              • May 2023
              • United States

In case you face a similar situation where your AC is not working and your landlord is unresponsive, it's important to take action promptly. Start by reviewing your lease agreement to understand your rights and any provisions related to repairs and maintenance.
              Next, reach out to your landlord or property management company to report the issue. Document your communication attempts and keep a record of any responses or lack thereof. If necessary, consider sending a written notice via certified mail, as it can serve as evidence later.
              When it comes to finding reliable appliance repair services, you can consider reaching out to local service providers in your area. Websites like musiccityappliance.services might provide information on appliance repair options, but keep in mind that the availability and relevance of specific services may have changed over the past four years.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              Smile :) Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Mad :mad: Confused :confused: Frown :( Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:

the answer is no... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...