• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sarel 100
    • Jan 2019
    • Germany

Failure to release after 40 days with no charges

Florida

my (somewhat distant) relative in the US was arrested in June 2018 and was supposed to be released because charges were not filed within 40 days and released on his own recognise on his vop at his court date 08/09/18 but was not released until 08/11/18 after many phone calls to clerk of court, judge, etc. What do you consider this to be? False imprisonment perhaps? And would you say that he has a case against the courts or county
  • AFFA
    Top Level Member
    ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • Dec 2009

Re: Failure to release after 40 days with no charges

I wish to inform you that State laws may determine right to compensation by the person who was wrongly arrested. In this regard in Florida under FL ST 961.01 your relative may claim compensation for wrongful imprisonment.

AFF

Comment

• Lexus
      Top Level Member
      ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
      • Sep 2010
      • United States

A person could not file a case against the Court, but can approach the court for compensation for unlawful arrest, but before that you should consult with an expert lawyer to get information regarding the arrest and detention and the reason for not releasing on time.

Comment

• Unregistered

Two days isn't really a terrible injustice.
        Not correct I understand but not catastrophic.
        What damages?

Comment

• Highwayman
          Top Level Member
          ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Sarel 100
          Florida

my (somewhat distant) relative in the US was arrested in June 2018 and was supposed to be released because charges were not filed within 40 days and released on his own recognise on his vop at his court date 08/09/18 but was not released until 08/11/18 after many phone calls to clerk of court, judge, etc. What do you consider this to be? False imprisonment perhaps? And would you say that he has a case against the courts or county
          It's none of your business. Your distant relative should be discussing it with his attyorney.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          Smile :) Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Mad :mad: Confused :confused: Frown :( Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:

the color of a red rose is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...