X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anlina
    • Jul 2011

Coupon code expiration in California

It's my understanding that it's illegal in California for coupon codes or gift certificates
    to expire. Yet I'm in California and the one I have from Dell has an expiration date, and the company won't honor it.

Do I have any recourse?

Thanks in advance!
  • Disagreeable
    Top Level Member
    ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • Oct 2012
    • United States

Re: Coupon code expiration in California

You are confusing laws designed to protect something you have paid for expiring like a gift card. Coupons can and do expire, gift certificate may or may not expire depending on specific laws and whether you paid for them.
    Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

• Friend In Court
      Top Level Member
      ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
      • Apr 2011
      • United States

Originally posted by Anlina
      It's my understanding that it's illegal in California for coupon codes or gift certificates
      to expire. Yet I'm in California and the one I have from Dell has an expiration date, and the company won't honor it.

Do I have any recourse?

Thanks in advance!
      A couple of federal laws come into play when the issue is coupons; the Federal Credit Card Accountability Responsibility and Disclosure Act of 2009 and the Electronic Funds Transfer Act of 1978.l

As to gift certificates, federal and state laws prohibit them expiring under 5 years from date of issue. California prohibits expiration dates for gift certificates.

Coupons are not reloadable, are usually with a one specific merchant, (in this case Dell), and is redeemable for a specific event or performance. If with no specified value, the coupon cannot be classified as a gift certificate under state laws.

However, since the state is California, neither coupon nor gift certificate as you describe would be subject to any time limitation.

Groupon, by the way, which offers pre paid gift certificates, usually with a short time period to redeem, is being sued now under federal law for imposing time limits on their coupons.
      [Darn, that fishing trip I paid for in Florida and never went out on, I sure wish I knew that then.].

Yes,. you have a remedy. If they do not live up to the coupon they issued, you can sue them --the court, Small Claims court.

Comment

• Friend In Court
        Top Level Member
        ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
        • Apr 2011
        • United States

Originally posted by Disagreeable
        You are confusing laws designed to protect something you have paid for expiring like a gift card. Coupons can and do expire, gift certificate may or may not expire depending on specific laws and whether you paid for them.
        Coupons do not expire under California law.

Comment

• Disagreeable
          Top Level Member
          ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
          • Oct 2012
          • United States

You are confusing coupons with gift cards/certificates.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Comment

• goddessoflubboc
            Top Level Member
            ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
            • Nov 2011

Originally posted by Friend In Court
            Coupons do not expire under California law.
            Coupons most certainly do. As do most "coupon codes".

Comment

• Friend In Court
              Top Level Member
              ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
              • Apr 2011
              • United States

Originally posted by goddessoflubboc
              Coupons most certainly do. As do most "coupon codes".

Cite the authority. For California. And no other state.

Comment

• goddessoflubboc
                Top Level Member
                ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
                • Nov 2011

Like I'd waste my time trying to prove a negative to you. If you choose to live life ignorant of certain facts who am I to stop you?

Comment

• Disagreeable
                  Top Level Member
                  ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
                  • Oct 2012
                  • United States

Tell me what state codifies laws that do not exist, I am curious.

Originally posted by Friend In Court
                  Cite the authority. For California. And no other state.

Comment

• Friend In Court
                    Top Level Member
                    ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
                    • Apr 2011
                    • United States

Originally posted by goddessoflubboc
                    Like I'd waste my time trying to prove a negative to you. If you choose to live life ignorant of certain facts who am I to stop you?
                    There ARE laws re coupons in the State of California. It depends upon value, whether or not expiration is listed on the coupon -- which Ghiardelli Chocolates found out the hard way after being sued and ordered to pay $10 million dollars for not honoring theirs. $10,000,000.

One who answers questions on the law should be able to find it and cite it.

Comment

• Anlina
                      • Jul 2011

Wow. I really appreciate all the responses!

What I have isn't a purchased gift certificate, but might be considered a promotional coupon. I charged a certain number of purchases to my Amex card within a certain time frame, and received a membership reward because of it. It's just a piece of paper (not a card) that says Dell Inc. certificate. At the bottom is has a Dell coupon code, with the expiration date. A certificate number is below that.

Again, I appreciate your discussion!

Comment

• Disagreeable
                        Top Level Member
                        ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
                        • Oct 2012
                        • United States

Which was issued in another state. Lets approach this logically for you. If expired coupons were accepted by CA law, there would be a major marketing place obtaining them from other states to sell to Californians. Further, no company would issue offers to customers in CA such as you mentioned. In other words, you gave nothing of value for it, so it is not protected or treated as a gift card or gift certificate. What you have is an expired offer code.

Comment

• Unregistered

I still am not sure what the final answer is here, in California, for sure.

Comment

• Unregistered

But I have 4 year old coupons that I would love to use right now--for all sorts of interesting reasons.

Comment

• Mack10

That seems very weird to me that they would still be valid.
                              How could the business ever control that situation.
                              They would always be wondering what may still come in, 10 years later.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              Smile :) Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Mad :mad: Confused :confused: Frown :( Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:

the color of a red rose is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...