USAC Banner 728x90

Collapse

Arrested and charged for a criminal offence 20 years ago in Jamaica.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • namm
    • Mar 2017
    • United States

Arrested and charged for a criminal offence 20 years ago in Jamaica.

I was arrested and charged for a criminal offence 20 years ago in Jamaica.
    My fiance is a US Citizen and we would like to get married.
    How does the US Law treat this?
    Thank you.
    Regards.
  • AFFA
    Top Level Member
    ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • Dec 2009

Re: Arrested and charged for a criminal offence 20 years ago in Jamaica.

I wish to inform you that charges against your fiance may determine his eligibility. If he was charged for murder or other serious crimes then he may not have US citizenship. As 5 years have passed thus in other cases past criminal act may not restrict him from coming to US.

AFF

Comment

• namm
      • Mar 2017
      • United States

Thanks.
      It is me that was charged.
      But I assume the same applies correct?

Comment

• Venus 12

Does a small theft conviction 20 years ago have any relevance when I apply for a US visa to visit on a business trip?

Comment

• Unregistered

It will not necessary exclude you but can certainly be a factor when US officials decide on entrance or on granting a visa.

Comment

• Unregistered

There should be some exception after 10 years or so!!

It's too cruel as is now.

Comment

• Unregistered

Originally posted by AFFA
              I wish to inform you that charges against your fiance may determine his eligibility. If he was charged for murder or other serious crimes then he may not have US citizenship. As 5 years have passed thus in other cases past criminal act may not restrict him from coming to US.

AFF
              Is two misdemeanor convictions a bar to entry?
              They were sentenced 14 years ago.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              Smile :) Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Mad :mad: Confused :confused: Frown :( Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:

do blue dogs live on the moon... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...