Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > ACCIDENTS, PERSONAL INJURY, INSURANCE > Insurance Issues

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2019, 09:59 AM   #1
mentlen
mentlen's Flag is: United States

Default Home insurance requirements during winter vacation stay

I am still not clear.
Do I have to worry about my homeowners insurance in Wisconsin if I go to Arizona for three months? I don't even want to bring up the issue if I don't need to.

Do I have to pay more of a premium just while I m gone? or always? or never?

Can they legally deny my claim if something happens while I am in AZ?
mentlen is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 09-09-2019, 01:35 PM   #2
AFFA
Top Level Member

Default Re: Home insurance requirements during winter vacation stay

I wish to inform you that your homeowner’s policy provides off‑premises coverage. This means the policy covers your belongings against theft even when they are not inside your home. Your insurer will reimburse you for the cost of replacing your suitcase and its contents if it were lost or stolen while you were on vacation, but only for replacing them with items of like kind and quality. For further guidance, you may contact your insurer.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2019, 05:33 PM   #3
adjusterjack
Top Level Member

Yes, you do have to worry about your homeowners insurance while you are gone for three months.

Two reasons that I can think of off the top of my head. The standard HO 3 has the following limitations. You'll want to read your policy to see if it contains the same or similar wording.

Quote:
1 - The vacancy exclusion:

Vandalism and malicious mischief, and any ensuing loss caused by any intentional and wrongful act committed in the course of the vandalism or malicious mischief, if the dwelling has been vacant for more than 60 consecutive days immediately before the loss. A dwelling being constructed is not considered vacant;
Which may apply to any theft of your stuff during the vandalism and malicious mischief. You'll need to buy a Vacancy Permit from your insurance company. It costs a bit. Make sure you get the endorsement before you leave.

2 - The pipe freeze limitation:

Quote:
Freezing of a plumbing, heating, air conditioning or automatic fire protective sprinkler system or of a household appliance, or by discharge, leakage or overflow from within the system or appliance caused by freezing. This provision does not apply if you have used reasonable care to:
(a) Maintain heat in the building; or
(b) Shut off the water supply and drain all systems and appliances of water.

Probably cheaper to just winterize the house by shutting off the main water valve and draining the pipes and appliances.

Since you are going to be away in November and December, the risk is great that a pipe freeze will burst the pipe and any day time temperature over 32 degrees will cause water from plumbing to inundate your house.

Yes, the insurance company can deny claims that involve those two limitations.
adjusterjack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2019, 01:07 PM   #4
Unregistered

One other post here in this forum says if you are leaving more than 30 days, contact your insurer and inform them.

Old 09-10-2019, 01:07 PM   #5
Unregistered

JUST FYI

Old 09-11-2019, 11:05 AM   #6
olive
Top Level Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
One other post here in this forum says if you are leaving more than 30 days, contact your insurer and inform them.

That has always been my understanding of standard good practice as well (even if not a legal requirement).

And basically a requirement from my home insurance agent.
olive is offline   Reply With Quote