Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > LABOR and EMPLOYMENT LAW > Hiring, Firing, Wrongful Termination

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-24-2019, 01:46 PM   #1
Mimalito
Mimalito's Flag is: United States

Default Recently terminated in CT

I was curious about final pay in CT since I'm somewhat new to the state. I went into work on Friday morning to be told I was not needed anymore.

I emailed my HR admin that afternoon and she said I would receive my final pay via direct deposit "within 24 hours" It's now Sunday afternoon (nearly 2pm) and I have nothing.

I found this Department of Labor Wage & Workplace standards that state:

Sec. 31-71c. Payment of wages on termination of employment.(a) Whenever an employee voluntarily terminates his employment, the employer shall pay the employee’s wages in full not later than the next regular pay day, as designated under section 31-71b, either through the regular payment channels or by mail. (b) Whenever an employer discharges an Employee, the employer shall pay the employee’s wages in full no later than the business day next succeeding the date of such discharge. (c) When work of any employee is suspended as a result of a labor dispute, or when an employee for any reason is laid off, the employer shall pay in full to such employee the wages earned by him not later than the next regular pay day, as designated under section 31-71b.

From what I read I should have had it the next day. Is it possible that they will get away with paying me later due to the term "business day" which might mean corporate office business day (M-F) versus retail store business day? I can't find clarification anywhere online from any official CT government website.

Anyone have some clarification for me?

Thanks
Mimalito is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 11-24-2019, 05:00 PM   #2
Highwayman
Top Level Member

Default Re: Recently terminated in CT

The next business day would be Monday.
Highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2019, 01:22 PM   #3
AFFA
Top Level Member

Default Re: Recently terminated in CT

I wish to inform you that a Business day is every day except Saturday, Sunday or a federal banking holiday. Even if the institution is open on weekends, these days are NOT considered business days. This definition is from the Connecticut's Official State Website.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote