Legal Junkies Forums

#1 Community for Legal Questions and Answers

Go Back   Legal Junkies Forums > FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY > Domestic Violence and Abuse

Register FAQ Tags Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Layout

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-16-2015, 11:27 PM   #21
Disagreeable
Top Level Member
Disagreeable's Flag is: United States

Default Re: Unwanted protective order: A judge is refusing to drop a protective order

You should certainly testify you assaulted him first and that he was defending himself. Then the correct person will be prosecuted.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.
Disagreeable is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 05-17-2015, 04:36 PM   #22
Friend In Court
Top Level Member
Friend In Court's Flag is: United States

Default Re: Unwanted protective order: A judge is refusing to drop a protective order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disagreeable View Post
You should certainly testify you assaulted him first and that he was defending himself. Then the correct person will be prosecuted.
I recommended she see an advocate first with the Prosecutor's Office. The advocate who is very experienced in situations such as this will get ALL the facts and intercede with the prosecutor for the best possible outcome. The victim's advocate might, after reviewing ALL the facts recommend that neither be prosecuted since it was mutual combat -- PROVIDING each takes a plea and agrees to anger management.

It is not to the poster's advantage to have someone who is not privy to all their facts of their case, and is not a lawyer, advise one to testify admitting to a criminal act. Or decide who if either should be prosecuted. That job is best left to a lawyer who has the poster's interests to protect.
Friend In Court is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2016, 06:51 PM   #23
evilpassion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
My boyfriend and I got into a arguments about a week ago.I threw my phone at him (it didn't hit him). He asked me if I threw it at him and I answered yes I did. I got in his face and he put his hands up. He accidentally hit me. I fell and caught my finger on a nail and was bleeding. The neighbor called the cops. I told them I didn't want to press charges it was an accident. The cop laughed at me and told me I didn't have a choice. They arrested him and when he went to court the judge set a one year no contact order. I filled out the papers to have it dropped and we go to court next month. Any advice on what to say, is there someone that can help me, what should I expect? Any and all information and advice would help. Thanks
Expect that you may be charged as well if you go to court with this story. YOU wre the aggressor, not him.
evilpassion is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2016, 09:32 PM   #24
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I have all the education on domestic violence I need, tyvm. Anytime a person stays with an abuser, it is NOT because of the kids. To even suggest such a cop out requires more education on the above poster's part. If a person in a domestic situation EVER feels they need to call the cops to protect them, it's time to leave the relationship for good. Period. There is no gray area, as some would believe.

I personally don't care whether the above poster does or does not complainig about her taxes being wasted on domestic violence protection. Further, the salaries of professional athletes and celebrities does not come out of the pockets of taxpayers. Any money coming from taxpayers is purely voluntary and it certainly isn't taken out of one's income for "tax" purpose, unlike police protection is.

It's ironic a person who clearly knows nothing about neither domestic violence or paying taxes and on what is commenting that other people don't know what they are talking about.

The latest post is an indication of how protective orders are a waste of taxpayer money. It only serves to give the man a record, and the women ends up getting back with him anyway, so there's no point in the police wasting their time when more important crimes are going down.
what an ignorant comment. you truly are a disgusting human being. I hope someday you need help, whether it be a car accident, a heart attack, or anything, and I hope no one helps you because they don't want to waste their tax dollars. you should have known better than to get into a car accident. and you should have taken care of yourself and prevented a heart attack. you are a heartless person. Stop posting on here.

Old 10-23-2016, 09:42 AM   #25
Anna8994

I asked for a protective order and it was granted by a court, but now my ex has attended AA for 5 months and it seems he indeed has stopped drinking.

Can I now ask the order be removed? Is 5 months too short or will the judge see the progress and accept it?

Old 06-03-2017, 10:00 AM   #26
Unregistered

I have the same question basically.
Can I remove the protective order after a four month period?
Is that too soon?

My bf has sobered up at this point. 45 days and not a drop of alcohol.

Old 07-23-2018, 04:15 AM   #27
Unregistered

The judge is going to need proof that some real and fundamental change has occurred before he let's you run back be abused again. And you would be surprised at the number of abused spouses or partners that go running back right back into the cycle of violence that got the protective order in the first place.